In order for you to be able to commence your course of study at Giessen without undue tensions and distractions, we recommend that you sort out your accommodations as early as possible. There are several types of accommodation: apartment/room in a student hostel, flatting with roommates, or a private apartment. The majority of foreign students generally decide to live in one of the several student hostels during the initial phase of their studies at Giessen and to move on to private accommodations in the subsequent period of their stay in Giessen.
This type of accommodation is offered solely to students and includes individual apartments, double apartments or single rooms in an apartment with roommates. All rooms/apartments come fully furnished and are equipped with TV, phone, and Internet connections.
- Individual apartment: in this form of accommodation, you will live in an apartment that contains a private kitchen and bathroom. Cost: 230-290 Euro/ month.
- Double apartment: in this form of accommodation, you will live in an apartment together with another person and share the kitchen and bathroom. The person you share with can be of the opposite sex. Cost: 180-230 Euro/month.
- Single room in a flat with flat-mates: You will live in a flat together with other students and have your own room for sleeping and study, but you will share the kitchen and bathroom. In this form of accommodation, the persons you share with can be of the opposite sex. Cost: 170-210 Euro/ month.
In order to be able to live in a student hostel you will need to apply for a room or apartment. Rooms in student hostels are generally highly demanded, as this type of accommodation is comparatively inexpensive. If you intend to live in a student hostel, we recommend you to apply for a room as soon as you have decided to study at Giessen University.
The following documents are required for the application process:
- Filled in application form with passport photo attached. You can download the English language version of the form here
- A copy of your passport
- Letter of admission or certificate of enrollment (it is possible to apply even if you have not yet received your letter of admission; you will, however, be required to submit it once the semester begins)
Please send the application to the following address:
If you prefer, you can of course search for a private apartment or flat together with roommates.
- Flatting with flat-mates: The majority of students in Germany live in shared flats. These usually consist of two to six persons who share an apartment. Each flat-mate generally has his/her own room (which is usually unfurnished) and all flat-mates share a kitchen and bathroom. In this form of accommodation, the person you share with can be of the opposite sex. The rent ranges from 200 to 400 Euro/month depending on the size and location of flat.
- Private Apartments: Living alone in your own apartment is also an option. It is, however, rather difficult to find an affordable apartment in Giessen. The cost of renting such an apartment starts at about 350 Euro per month.
The following WebPages contain up-to-date flatting offers:
In pubs, sports clubs and through academic celebrations you will quickly get into contact with other students.
Giessen is not too big; it can be easily discovered on foot, by bike or bus. With the "semester ticket" you can use all public transport in the Rhine-Main area. To city of Frankfurt it is only 40 minutes away by train...
The environment of Giessen offers ideal opportunities for active leisure activities: walking, trekking, canoeing, or swimming. Giessen is situated on the river Lahn close to the hilly regions of Vogelsberg, Westerwald and Taunus.