Applying for Admission to a Course of Study leading to a non-doctoral degree (Bachelor's, Master's, Staatsexamen)
The following general principles operate with regard to applications for a non-doctoral degree course:
If you have a foreign University Entrance Certificate and wish to enter a non-doctoral degree program, you must submit your application to uni-assist (for details on procedure, see below). Uni-assist will check your application to make sure it is complete and correct.
- Important information for applicants from the People's Republic of China, Mongolia, and Vietnam (you need the APS-certificate)
- Applications for courses subject to federally restricted access:
If you are a German or EU/EEA citizen (EU countries plus Liechtenstein, Norway, and Iceland) with a foreign College/University Entrance Certificate and wish to apply for entry to a program (e.g., Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry) that belongs among the group of degree courses subject to federally restricted access, then you must send your application directly to the Center for the Allocation of University Places (Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung). Please remember that you will still have to show that you have acquired sufficient proficiency in the German language to allow you to embark successfully on a course of study in Germany.
- Foreign nationals with a German University Entrance Certificate (Abitur):
If you are a foreign national with a German College/University Entrance Certificate (Abitur), you are exempt from this inspection by uni-assist. Use the application procedure for students with a German University Entrance Certificate or, should your course of study belong to the degree courses subject to federally restricted access, use the application process of the Center for the Allocation of University Places (Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung).
Academic Qualifying Course:
You may be required to attend an Academic Qualifying Course (Studienkolleg) before you can embark on a course of studies in Germany. To find out whether you must first successfully attend the Academic Qualifying Course, please consult the Information System for Foreign Educational Qualifications. Should you have to attend, the application deadline closes earlier (see "application deadlines" below).
Application via uni-assist:
Applications for a German intensive course in preparation for academic study are possible anytime via uni-assist!
- Applications are open for entry to programmes in the winter semester 2013/14 -
|Agrobiotechnology / Transition Management
||All other courses of study
||for the winter semester: June 15
||for the winter semester: July 15
for the summer semester: January 15
|Academic Qualifying Course
||for the winter semester: April 15
for the summer semester: October 15
- Please apply as early as possible via uni-assist in order to avoid long waiting periods. Applicants for medicine and dentistry are strongly advised to apply no later than the end of June for the following winter semester and the end of December for the following summer semester.
Application Checklist (not for all applicants, see "exemptions" above):
Please use JLU's application package with JLU's application form (see below), only then do you have all necessary information. Please read the checklists and information leaflets thoroughly to ensure that you submit a complete application. Please include the following documents in your application to uni-assist:
- application form
- an officially certified copy of your school-leaving certificate (this may in certain cases take the form of a listing of the subject grades achieved in your last year of school; if applicable, also an academic transcript and/or diploma from a university already attended) and officially certified copies of the translations of these documents. Translations are only accepted from accredited translators who are authorized to issue officially certified translations in their respective home country. We accept documents in German and English. Documents in other languages have to be translated.
- applicants for a Master's programme also need an officially certified copy of the complete Transcript of Records and the Bachelor's certificate as well as officially certified copies of their translation (if applicable) from accredited translators (i.e., translators who are authorized to issue officially certified translations).
- proof of your German language proficiency
- a copy of the page in your passport showing your name and passport photo
Please note: your complete documentation can only be processed after you have transferred the administrative fee to uni-assist's bank account!
Please send your complete application documents to:
c/o uni-assist e.V.
If your application is deemed to be complete and satisfactory, uni-assist will send it on to us at JLU's International Office. You will then receive from us either a Confirmation of Admission or other information.
If your documents have failed to meet the formal requirements, your documents remain in uni-assist's files. Should you wish to apply again, you can then repeat your application, where necessary with fresh documentation. If you are in doubt about the correctness of the evaluation carried out by uni-assist, please inquire directly at JLU's Admissions Office. JLU Giessen reserves the right to make any final decision on acceptance or rejection of an application for admission to a degree program.