Welcome to SPARE:WATER
The Site-sPecific Agricultural water Requirement and footprint Estimator (SPARE:WATER) is a spatial decision support system for estimating water consumption in agricultural production systems.
SPARE:WATER is a stand-alone software application which integrates a database, mathematical models for estimating crop water needs and a graphical user interface (GUI). The software implements geographic information system functionalities for managing spatial data which is based on the open source spatial library DotSpatial.
The GUI leads the user through eight consecutive steps in order to calculate (i) the crop specific water requirement according to the well-known FAO56 Crop Irrigation Guidelines as well as (ii) the water footprint (amount of water consumed per unit of biomass) of growing crops considering all water resources required, including green (rainfall), blue (irrigation) and grey water. Grey water is the amount of water required to bring polluted water back to national water quality standards. In the case of irrigation agriculture SPARE:WATER assumes that grey water is dominated by water required to ensure salt leaching. User defined parameters allow to set crop types, irrigation efficiencies, salinity of irrigation water or depression of yields due to salinization.
Output maps can be easily analyzed by a summary table for each spatial entity and different charts. A scenario manager allows to rapidly investigate the effect of introducing different cropping types and patterns, improvement of irrigation efficiencies or changes in irrigation water salinity on site specific water resources.
- Multsch, S., Alrumaikhani, Y. A., Alharbi, O. A., Frede, H. G. and Breuer, L.: Internal water footprint assessment of Saudi Arabia using the Water footprint Assessment Framework (WAF), In Chan, F., Marinova, D. and Anderssen, R.S. (eds) MODSIM2011, 19th International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand, 829–835, 2011.
- Multsch, S., Al-Rumaikhani, Y. A., Frede, H.-G. and Breuer, L.: A Site-sPecific Agricultural water Requirement and footprint Estimator (SPARE: WATER 1.0), Geoscientific Model Development, 6(4), 1043–1059, doi:10.5194/gmd-6-1043-2013, 2013. [online]
- Multsch, S., Exbrayat, J.-F., Kirby, M., Viney, N. R., Frede, H.-G. and Breuer, L.: Reduction of predictive uncertainty in estimating irrigation water requirement through multi-model ensembles and ensemble averaging, Geoscientific Model Development, 8(4), 1233–1244, doi:10.5194/gmd-8-1233-2015, 2015. [online]
- Multsch, S., Pahlow, M., Ellensohn, J., Michalik, T., Frede, H.-G. and Breuer, L.: A hotspot analysis of water footprints and groundwater decline in the High Plains aquifer region, USA, Regional Environmental Change, 1–10, doi:10.1007/s10113-016-0968-5, 2016. [online]
- Multsch, S., Alquwaizany, A. S., Alharbi, O. A., Pahlow, M., Frede, H.-G. and Breuer, L.: Water-saving strategies for irrigation agriculture in Saudi Arabia, International Journal of Water Resources Development, 1–18, doi:10.1080/07900627.2016.1168286, 2016. [online]