Objectives of the IPPAE
The International PhD program in Agricultural Economics, bioeconomy and rural development (IPPAE) is being offered by the Universities of GIESSEN and HOHENHEIM, Germany. The IPPAE (Dr. agr.) is designed as a research based education for qualified candidates from developing countries. The institutions and persons involved, encompass a broad range of expertise and experience in teaching and research in developing countries.
The IPPAE is exclusively designed to upgrade the academic qualification of young and energetic scholars from tropical and subtropical countries of the developing world, where expertise with this background is of acute shortage. Since women are mostly under-represented in many career areas of developing countries, applications from female candidates are especially welcome and will be given a higher priority if pre-requisite qualifications are held. Applications are encouraged primarily for people from universities, national/international research centers and institutions for staff development. Nevertheless, applications from master’s degree holders who are already employed in government, INGOs, NGOs and private institutions are also very welcome. Having the aim to pursue a research career after graduation is an advantage.
DAC-List of ODA Recipients by OECD:
To qualify for this program, you need to:
• be a citizen of a country on the DAC-List of ODA Recipients by OECD;
• have a Master’s or equivalent degree in agricultural economics or related science with a minimum grade of A or B. The award of your last academic degree may not lie more than 6 years before the application date.
• have at least two years of work experience in a relevant domain, before or after completing your M.Sc., but in all cases, before applying to this program;
• have a permit from your employing organization to go on a sabbatical leave; and
• be fluent in written and spoken English.
1. Hand-signed Curriculum Vitae + list of publications
2. DAAD application form https://www.daad.de/medien/deutschland/stipendien/formulare/forschungsstipendium_en.pdf;
3. Application letter stating your motivation to pursue a PhD at the University of Gießen (hand signed);
4. A well-structured and finalized concept note of 5-8 pages outlining the problem you aim to tackle with your research, your specific proposed research focus, the scientific and methodological perspective with which you will conduct the research, the methods you aim to use, the data you plan to collect. This concept will be used to identify appropriate PhD supervisors and its scientific quality plays a very important role in the selection process.
5. Proof of English language proficiency: a TOEFL with a minimum of 233 points computer-based, 577 points paper-based, 90 points internet-based; or IELTS 6,5. If you have successfully done your education (MSc program) in English, a statement certifying the language of instruction of the program and a copy of your MSc thesis (.pdf) may suffice to prove your language proficiency.
6. Letter from your employer indicating his/her consent for a sabbatical leave;
7. Certificates or translated documents:
ü school leaving certificate (College, GSEC,etc.) qualifying for admission to higher education in your own country
ü certificates of annual examinations taken at the home university (= transcripts of records)
ü Certificates of any academic degree or advances qualifications showing grades and explaining the home grading system (description of grade scale). For French speaking countries: license or Maîtrise with at least Mention Assez Bien, along with a DEA/DESS or a Master’s degree according to the LMD system.
8. Two letters of reference.
9. A list of publications (if applicable)
Application procedure and deadline
Interested and qualified candidates should send three copies of their application directly to the university address given below, your regional DAAD Recruiting Manager or via E-Mail as a PDF-file to IPPAE-Info@agrar.uni-giessen.de. All the necessary basic information including the application forms can be obtained from the local offices (mentioned below) or downloaded directly.
Download of the application form:
Application for DAAD Research Grants and Study Scholarships
The completed application forms have to be returned before the following deadlines:
30th November, each year at the host university
31st August, each year at the DAAD office in the home country or local Recruiting Manager.
Earlier applications are encouraged to facilitate the screening of the applications. Kindly note that we will consider neither late nor incomplete applications.
Please send your application to the following address:
University of Giessen
Institute für Agrarpolitik und Marktforschung
IPPAE – Jutta Bender
Or (as a PDF-file) to:
The program is mainly financed by scholarships and tutorial support through The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The monthly scholarship presently amounts to € 750 for the first year (during German language and semester course work). Following the successful completion of course work and other qualifying exams for commencement of the doctoral research study, the scholarship is raised to € 1.000 per month through to the end of the program. Additionally, the DAAD provides health insurance, travelling allowances, funds to conduct field research, family support (marital and child allowances), travelling cost for participating in scientific conferences, as well as costs to meet stationery including a computer & dissertation publication cost.
Dissertation topic and publication:
It is expected that the candidates prepare an important and relevant research area to their individual supervisor. As part of the application process, a scientific research proposal (problem statement, hypotheses, methodology, expected results) has to be submitted to the host university and DAAD Selection committee. The selected candidate would in cooperation with assigned supervisor at the host institution jointly finalise the dissertation topic after the DAAD has awarded the scholarship for the first year and the necessary planning steps have been taken. The dissertation can be written in English or German and is subject to the approval by the academic examination committee. Scholars with outstanding dissertations will be published in internationally recognized recognised book series “Farming and Rural Systems Economics”.
Please make sure to choose a topic for your PhD research which is in line with topics of interest to the institutes you are applying at. This will make it a lot more easy to find a fitting supervisor for you and your topic.
For more Information see also:
Application Formular for DAAD Scholarship