Orientation Week and Info-Table
- Orientation Week and Info-Table
Your Team of the Info-Table Humanities Campus in Summer
Every semester, the International Office runs an orientation program for foreign students during their enrolment period. The "Info-Table", for students from abroad who are at JLU Giessen for the first time, always takes place during the two to three weeks before commencement of the semester.
Experienced students are here to help you, to assist you in dealing with the necessary bureaucratic procedures (at the International Registration Authority and the Town Hall), and to offer you tips and guidance for handling day-to-day matters. There are also orientation events and information materials specially designed for beginning students.
For students intending to complete a degree at JLU
there is also an obligatorytwo weeks before the start of classes. If you are from outside Germany and belong to this category of degree-seeking students, we advise you to enrol two weeks before the start of the semester at the latest.
JLU offersfor some courses of study. The courses are not mandatory. However, we strongly advise you to participate. Please keep the dates in mind when planning your arrival in Giessen! Courses start a couple of weeks before the start of the semester.
For students on exchange programs
academic orientation and enrolment usually take place one week before commencement of classes.
The Info-Table program generally takes the following form:
- enrolment with the help of your mentor: 2 to 3 weeks before the start of classes (Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings; see your Notification of Admission)
- late-afternoon Welcome Event: the President of JLU Giessen welcomes all foreign students, and various Giessen organizations introduce themselves (last Thursday before the start of classes, 17:00)
- open lecture presenting the university system – the nuts and bolts of academic study (midday on the last Friday before the start of classes)
- help with completing the application for a residence permit (for exchange students only; Friday afternoon)
- "Mentorium" for working out your course timetable together with your exchange coordinator and academic advisors (for exchange students)
- question hour for any queries arising out of the Orientation Week (for degree-seeking students only; last Friday morning before the start of classes)
In the first week of classes, there is usually the obligatory Diagnostic Test for thethat are held throughout the semester, as well as a group 'expedition' for foreign students to the International Registration Authority.
For times and details of this and of the orientation week, please check your Notification of Admission.