Document Actions

Arrival, Extension of Stay, Departure



We strongly recommend that you plan to arrive in Giessen no later than a week before classes commence, as this is the time when the Student Orientation Week takes place for visiting students. During this week, tutors provide you with assistance in such formal matters as enrolment and applying for a residence permit, and there is an informal welcoming ceremony for visiting students at which the University President takes the opportunity to address you.

Travelling to Giessen by plane via Frankfurt/Main International:

It is best to fly directly to Frankfurt Rhein/Main Airport (FRA) and not to Frankfurt Hahn Airport since Hahn is actually located in the Hunsrück Mountains, about 150 kilometers away from Frankfurt/Main.

If you still intend to arrive at Hahn, take the Airport Bus (click on "Frankfurt" on the map of these pages of Hahn Airport) to Frankfurt/Main Hauptbahnhof (main train station - 1 hour and 45 min.). Trains from Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof to Giessen leave every hour.

Having arrived at Frankfurt/Main Airport, take either local S-Bahn or regional trains (RE) from Frankfurt Airport Regionalbahnhof at Terminal 1 to Frankfurt Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) or take fast InterCity (IC) and ICE trains from Frankfurt/Main Airport Fernbahnhof at Terminal 1 to Frankfurt Central Station (Hauptbahnhof). Trains leave every 15 min.
Trains from Frankfurt Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) to Giessen leave at least every hour.

Travelling to Giessen by train:

Giessen is well connected to Europe’s rail network. All European train connections to and from Giessen can be found on





Travelling to Giessen by car:

Giessen is well connected to Germany’s/Europe’s Autobahn/Motorway system. Google Maps enables you to find the fastest route to Giessen.


The Semesterticket: Getting around in Giessen

The semester ticket is part of your Student ID Card (costs are included in the semester fee) and is valid for one semester. You can travel around in nearly the whole Federal State of Hessen (all parts served by RMV and NVV) as often as you like as long as you use regional trains, trams, buses, and the underground (your ticket is not valid on fast IC or ICE trains).

Extension of Stay

Extending Your Stay

Suppose that you have been enjoying your stay at Giessen so much that you would like to study here for a further semester. We would of course be very happy to hear this!

If you would like to stay on, you will need to take note of the following:

The deadline for extension from the Winter Semester into the Summer Semester is 15 January (i.e. in the middle of your current course of study at Giessen).

You will need to submit the following documents to the International Office (Section for EU Programs) by 15 January:

  • Confirmation by your departmental Erasmus+ coordinator at home that you shall be continuing to maintain your status as an Erasmus+ student and that your home university is permitting you to study for a further semester at JLU Giessen
  • Confirmation by your departmental coordinator in Giessen that you are permitted to continue your studies as an Erasmus+ student, and that you will continue to be supervised by him/her

You can now re-register for the summer semester. Please see the web pages of the registrar's office for further details. The Section for EU Programmes at the International Office will then issue a Confirmation of Extension which you can use for the following purposes:

  • If you are living in a hall of residence and you would like to extend your stay, simply notify the Studentenwerk and submit a copy of your Confirmation of Extension until January 15.
  • Please also remember to extend your Residence Permit and your German Health Insurance


Departure: Things to do Before You Leave

  • Please check your tenancy agreement for the conditions of checking out and contact the accommodation office of the Studentenwerk Giessen.
  • Print out the confirmation of your landlord (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung) when you check out and let the landlord sign it.

  • Please remember to deregister with the local authorities when you leave, hand in the signed confirmation of your landlord for this at the Stadtbüro (municipal office).

  • Please contact your departmental coordinator for your transcript of records.
  • Hand in the Request for Removal from the Register of Students/Withdrawal of Matriculation, indicate the date of your departure.
  • Cancel your health insurance (bring along the statement from the Studierendensekretariat showing the date of your withdrawal of matriculation/the day of your departure).
  • Close your bank account 3-4 days before you leave (unless you are expecting the reimbursement of your deposit for the room).

Cancel the payment of the broadcasting fees (you can download the form here).