Document Actions

Working in Giessen

Any foreign student who possesses a valid residence permit is allowed to engage in gainful employment for up to 140 full working days per year.

This temporary employment is also permitted outside the official university vacation times. Up to 4 hours a day counts as a half-day, any period of time beyond that counts as a full day's work. All that is required is the appropriate endorsement of your passport by the immigration authority. Part-time student jobs at the university (tutoring or Hiwi jobs) are also permitted and in addition to the 140 days based on this entry.

For employment exceeding 140 full days per year, the respective immigration authority must issue a special permit in consultation with the respective employment agency. The application must be submitted to the immigration authority.

Further information about work permits for international students

As a student, your income is taxable. For this purpose, you must obtain an income tax card from the Town Hall. The Giessen branch of the Inland Revenue Department will advise you on all matters connected with your income tax declaration, including reduction of the taxation rate for students and tax rebates. For further information, consult the Finanzamt Giessen.

Job opportunities at JLU

There are a few possibilities for obtaining work at the University as a student assistant or as a mentor or tutor. These jobs are posted within the University on the noticeboards in the relevant departments and institutes or are advertised on JLU's online labour exchange. Because such activity is often beneficial for your course of study, you do not require a work permit.