Parliamentary Deployment Votes Database (PDVD) und International Treaty Ratification Database (ITRVD)
Author: Falk Ostermann
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Helmut Breitmeier
Sponsoring Institutions: 2019-2021 funded by the Gerda Henkel Foundation („Politicization of Security Policy in Comparative Perspective“)
The Parliamentary Deployment Votes Database (PDVD) and the International Treaty Ratification Database (ITRVD) take issue with the increasing societal and political contestation of international politics in the realm of military intervention (security and defense policies) and the ratification of international treaties (foreign policy). They provide data for a comparative investigation of parliamentary and party-political voting behavior. It is a joint project headed from both Giessen and the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (with Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Wagner).
The project has three goals:
- We investigate the influence of political ideology and of government-opposition dynamics on the positioning toward military intervention.
- We investigate different concepts and practices of the parliamentary control of military intervention and defense policy.
- We are compiling a global database that collects data on parliamentary voting behavior of political parties on military deployments in order to investigate the above issues.
In the area of treaty ratification, the project’s focus is on data collection itself. We also aim at learning about different parliamentary procedures and conduct some preliminary analyses on the contestation of international treaties at parliamentary and party level.
- Julie Kaarbo, Benjamin Martill, Falk Ostermann, and Wolfgang Wagner (2020). Written Evidence (TWP0002) for the House of Lords’ European Union Committee on Treaty scrutiny: working practices, 10 July 2020, https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/6540/html/.
- Wagner, Wolfgang, Anna Herranz-Surrallés, Juliet Kaarbo, and Falk Ostermann. 2018. "Party politics at the water's edge: contestation of military operations in Europe". European Political Science Review 10(4), 537-563, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1755773918000097 .
- Ostermann, Falk. 2017. "France’s reluctant parliamentarisation of military deployments: the 2008 constitutional reform in practice." West European Politics 40(1):101-118.
- Wagner, Wolfgang, Anna Herranz-Surrallés, Juliet Kaarbo, and Falk Ostermann. 2017. "The Party Politics of Legislative-Executive Relations in Security and Defence Policy." West European Politics 40 (1):20-41.