Dr. Michael Vesker
Phone: +49 (0) 641 / 99 26063 (office)
Phone: +49 (0) 641 / 99 26061 (secretariat)
Fax: +49 (0) 641 / 99 26079 (secretariat)
Room: F 115
University department 06, Psychology and sport science
Department of Developmental Psychology
I am interested in the development of emotion and face perception, and how these might affect a child's ability to learn and socialize. I'm also very interested in the usage of interactive web technology in areas such as conducting experiments over the internet, or the remote implementation of educational and therapeutic approaches.
- 2014 - 2019. Doctoral student and researcher, Department of Developmental Psychology, University of Giessen, Germany: Studying the development of children’s abilities to integrate visual and auditory information for the purpose of emotion perception. This research is being conducted under the framework of the SFB research group Cardinal Mechanisms of Perception.
- 2010 - 2013. M.Sc. student in biology and research assistant, Center for Vision Research, York University, Canada: Studied the mechanisms by which the visual system processes information in the human brain, with an emphasis on face-recognition. Graduated: June, 2013
- 2005 - 2010. B.Sc. student in Biochemistry, Faculty of Science and Engineering, York University, Canada. Graduated: June, 2010
- Kauschke C., Bahn D., Vesker M., & Schwarzer G. (2019). The Role of Emotional Valence for the Processing of Facial and Verbal Stimuli—Positivity or Negativity Bias? Frontiers in Psychology, 10:1654. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01654
- Vesker, M., Bahn, D., Degé , F., Kauschke, C., & Schwarzer, G. (2019). Identification of Emotional Facial Expressions in a Lab and Over the Internet. Psychology, Journal of the HSE. 16(3):571-583. DOI: 10.17323/1813-8918-2019-3-571-583
Vesker, M., Bahn, D., Kauschke, C., Tschense, M., Degé, F., & Schwarzer, G. (2018) Auditory Emotion Word Primes Influence Emotional Face Categorization in Children and Adults, but Not Vice Versa. Front. Psychol. Published online 01 May, 2018
- Vesker M, Bahn D, Degé F, Kauschke C, Schwarzer G (2018) Developmental changes in the categorical processing of positive and negative facial expressions. PLoS ONE 13(8): e0201521. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0201521
Bahn, D., Kauschke, C., Vesker, M., & Schwarzer, G. (2018). Perception of valence and arousal in German emotion terms: A comparison between 9-year-old children and adults. Applied Psycholinguistics. 39(3), 463–481
Kauschke, C., Bahn, D., Vesker, M., & Schwarzer, G. (2017) The semantic representation of emotion terms in child development. Kindheit und Entwicklung. 26(4):251-260
Vesker, M., Bahn, D., Degé , F., Kauschke, C., & Schwarzer, G. (2017) Perceiving arousal and valence in facial expressions: Differences between children and adults. European Journal of Developmental Psychology. Published online 07 Feb, 2017.
Bahn, D., Vesker, M., García Alanis, J. C., Schwarzer, G., & Kauschke, C. (2017). Age dependent positivity-bias in children’s processing of emotion terms. Frontiers in Psychology. Published online 26 July, 2017
Vesker, M. & Wilson, H.R. (2013) Face context advantage explained by vernier and separation discrimination acuity. Frontiers in Psychology. Published online 21 January, 2013.