Aim of the Atlas project part
A first “National Atlas of Georgia” has been published in the year 2012 in Georgian language by the Vakhushti Bagrationi Institute of Geography at the Ivane Javakhashvili Tbilisi State University in Tbilisi (TSU).
The outstanding quality of this publication excited the strong wish of national and international experts to make this outstanding publication also available in English for an international audience. Moreover, and according to the fast development of Georgia in the recent years, it was compulsory to reassess some maps and tables according to the results of the 2014 census and other updated statistics. The Vakhushti Bagrationi Institute of Geography gladly agreed to take over the responsibility for this ambitious project for the Frankfurt Buchmesse 2018, where Georgia is guest of honor.
The Vakhushti Bagrationi Institute of Geography at TSU is the leading institution for the successful compilation of several atlases for the past decades. Among others, the following oeuvres were prepared and published:
- Atlas of Georgian USSR (in Georgian and Russian), 1964.
- Atlas of Resorts and Resort Resources of Georgia, 1989.
- School Geographical Atlas of Georgia, 1992.
- School Thematic Maps of Georgia, 1964-2013.
- Atlas of Georgia by Vakhushti Bagrationi (18th century), 1997
Moreover, the Institute’s employees were involved in the publication of:
- National Atlas of Cuba, 1970.
- Atlas of the World's Snow-Ice Resources, 1997.
The English language version of the National Atlas of Georgia will contain about 120 maps at the scales from 1:1 000 000 up to 1:3 000 000, all compiled at the Vakhushti Bagrationi Institute of Geography in Tbilisi. Diagrams, charts and tables will be used to better express the dynamics of natural and economic processes in time and space.
The Department of Geography at Justus Liebig University Giessen is the German partner organization. This institution has also a long tradition of map and atlas development as shown exemplarily by:
- Industrieatlas Mittelhessen – Ausgabe 1994 (Bathelt & Erb)
- Gewerbestandort Atlas für den Bezirk der IHK zu Dillenburg, 1995
- National Atlas of Afghanistan, 2014
- Numerous topographic and thematic maps for research projects.