Quality Network Biodiversity and Agriculture on the Balkan Peninsula (BioAgBal).
Project duration: 2014-2017
Short project description:
The project is funded in the frame of the DAAD Programme "Quality Network Biodiversity" that aims to protect and explore biodiversity. The first main aim of the project is the improvement of research and teaching on the phytodiversity (agricultural biodiversity and associated biodiversity of plants) of the Balkan Peninsula in the context of sustainable agriculture. Key topics of the project are
- Crop Production and Protection
- Plant Breeding and Genetic Resources
- Vegetation Ecology, Weed Ecology, Landscape Ecology and Landscape Planning
- Environmental Economy (Ecosystem Services).
The second aim of the project is to support the development of a joint Master Programme "Sustainable Resources Management" at Prishtina University (Kosovo) and the Agricultural University Tirana (Albania). The project, moreover, provides a platform to prepare joint research projects. The focus of BioAgBal is on capacity building at Prishtina University. In 2012, Giessen University signed a cooperation agreement with Prishtina University and, since 2014, this cooperation gets funding in the frame of the DAAD Eastern Partnerships Programme.
Institutions and sciensticts
of Giessen University*:
- (Prof. Dr. Honermeier)
- (Prof. Dr. Snowdon)
- (Ecotoxicology) (Prof. Dr. Felix-Henningsen, Prof. Dr. Düring)
- (Prof. Dr. Nuppenau)
- (Prof. Dr. Dr. Otte, Prof. Dr. Waldhardt)
* including the Center for International Development and Environmental Research ()
of Geisenheim University:
- (Dr. Stoll)
of Prishtina University:
- Plant Protection (Herbology) (Prof. Dr. Demaj, Prof. Ass. Dr. Mehmeti, Prof. Ass. Musa)
- Viticulture (Prof. Dr. Sylani, Prof. Ass. Dr. Bedri Dragusha)
- Plant Breeding (Prof. Dr. Aliu)
- Biology (Prof. Dr. Sherifi)
- Agro-Economy (Prof. Dr. Gjonbalaj)
- Gene Bank of Kosovo (Prof. Dr. Fetahu)
of the Agricultural University Tirana:
- Plant Protection (Viticulture and Ecotoxicology: Prof. Dr. Merkuri, Prof. Assoc. Dr. Cara; Plant Breeding: Prof. Dr. Ruci)
- Agroecology and Environment (Landscape Ecology: Prof. Assoc. Dr. Kopali)
Moreover, several state- and private-owned enterprises are involved in the project:
- Wine yards and Wine Processing Company N.P.T. "Muja", Rahovec
- Fruit and Vegetable Collection Centre Agrocelina, Rahovec
- Fidal Zejmen Lezhe Company, Lezhe
- Agricultural Technology Transfer Centre, Lushnje
- Institut für Gewässerschutz MESOCOSM GmbH am , Homberg (Ohm)
- Ingenieurbüro für Umweltplanung (IBU), Staufenberg
- 14.02.2014: First project meeting in Prishtina
- 06.03.2014: First project meeting in Giessen
Bachelor's and Master's Theses:
- Böttcher, E., ongoing thesis: Evaluation of an European project in Shala area in Kosovo, with regard to the multifunctional aspects of agriculture. Bachelor's Thesis Univ. Giessen.
- Demaj, R., ongoing thesis: Ökologische Bewertung von Apfelplantagen im Raum Peja (Kosovo).
- Fetahaj, R., 2015: Flora e barërave të këqija në vreshtat e komunës së Rahovecit. Master's Thesis Univ. Prishtina. Bachelor's Thesis Univ. Giessen.
- Fetahaj, R., ongoing thesis: Drivers of Weed Diversity on Patch and Pattern Scale in vineyards of Kosovo. PhD-Thesis Univ. Giessen.
- Freund, C., 2015: Ackervegetation und Landschaftsstruktur im nordöstlichen Kosovo (Weed vegetation and landscape structure in north-east Kosovo". Bachelor's Thesis Univ. Giessen
- Machate, O., 2015: The impact of heavy metals on the biodiversity of weeds and contamination of the agricultural product wheat, with an assessment of the potential health risk for consumers, in the 'Kosovo Plain' in Kosovo. Bachelor's Thesis Univ. Giessen
- Militschenko, D., in prep.: Landschaftsstrukturwandel bei Lezha (Albanien) seit 1985 (Changes in landscape structure near Lezha (albania) since 1985). Bachelor's Thesis Univ. Giessen