About the PhDnet
PhDnet: Cutting-edge Research in an International Context
As part of the International Graduate Centre for the Study of Culture (GCSC), the European PhDnet “Literary and Cultural Studies” at Justus Liebig University (JLU) Giessen constitutes an international network between JLU, the doctoral programme for philosophy, arts and society at the University of Helsinki and the doctoral programmes in literary and cultural studies at the University of Bergamo, the Catholic University of Lisbon, the University of Stockholm, the University of Graz and the University of Warwick.
Members of the PhDnet pursue their doctoral studies at JLU and one of the five partner institutions, where their projects are jointly supervised. Moreover, they are awarded bi-national degrees.
Joint events (symposia, conferences, master classes) implement the tight network structures envisioned in the PhDnet. Thus, the PhDnet curriculum provides a range of courses designed specifically for the needs of international doctoral researchers. This study programme ensures the academic quality of the PhD while at the same time reducing the time needed to obtain the degree to three years.
- facilitates joint supervision within its international networks and awards binational degrees according to the Cotutelle Agreement
- offers a highly structured international curriculum jointly organised by the participating institutions and designed to meet the specific needs of (international) doctoral researchers
- integrates the doctoral researchers into national and international academic communities and facilitates international doctoral researchers’ entry into the German academic landscape
- acquaints doctoral researchers with state-of-the-art theories, methodologies, approaches and concepts in the fields of literary and cultural studies;
- ensures high academic quality of the dissertation while, at the same time, reducing the time needed to obtain the degree
- encourages independent research from an early stage on by fostering publication and conference experience on national and international levels
- provides ample opportunity to acquire academic and practical qualifications in cooperation with the GCSC Teaching Centre and the GGK/GCSC Career Service, such as systematic training in academic teaching and other practical and professional skills.
Do you want to know more about our research profile? Take a look at the research projects of our doctoral researchers!