Paula Vasquez Teuber
Professionally, I am interested in horticulture and agronomic production, especially in plant breeding, biotechnology and reproduction, and hence am currently undertaking a PhD in plant breeding. My main research topic is the use of interspecific hybridization to add traits of agronomic relevance and increase the genetic variability of rapeseed. In this project, we are introgressing blackleg (Leptosphaeria maculans) disease resistance from wild mustard (Brassica nigra) into rapeseed (Brassica napus). In order to achieve this, we are using a combination of molecular marker genotyping technologies, disease resistance screening tests and molecular cytogenetics, in order to produce rapeseed cultivars with novel introgressed resistance to blackleg.
In addition, I am interested in interdisciplinary research, teaching, transfer of scientific information to the community, and entrepreneurship in applied sciences to encourage students to achieve new ventures in the area of plant breeding, biotechnology or other business types related to my area of expertise.
- 2018- present: Dr. Agrar. student at JLU, funded by a DAAD - Becas Chile scholarship and a Universidad de Concepción scholarship
- 2013: Master of Agricultural Studies major Horticulture, The University of Queensland, Australia under Becas Chile scholarship. Award: Dean’s Commendation for high achievement
- 2003-2009: Agronomist Engineer, Universidad de Concepción, Chile, under scholarship Beca Mineduc. Faculty award as the best generation student
Research and Teaching
- 2016 – 2018: Assistant professor at Universidad de Concepción, Faculty of Agronomy, Chillán.
- 2013- 2014: CILR The University of Queensland – Batley Lab – Brassica hybridization project. Positions: Summer research scholar (2013), Research technician (February-July 2014) and Research assistant (July-December 2014).
- 2014: Lifestyle Horticulture (HORT3008) Tutoring, University of Queensland.
Skills/Expertise /Research Keywords
- Classical and molecular cytogenetics
- Flow cytometry
- Meiosis and chromosome inheritance
- Interspecific hybridization
- Resistance genes
- Katche E., Quezada-Martinez D., Katche E.I., Vasquez Teuber P., Mason A.S. (2019) Interspecific hybridization for Brassica crop improvement. Crop Breeding, Genetics and Genomics 1:e190007
- Mason A.S., Zhang J., Tollenaere R., Vasquez Teuber P., Dalton‐Morgan J., Hu L., Yan G., Edwards D., Redden R., Batley J. (2015) High-throughput genotyping for species identification and diversity assessment in germplasm collections. Molecular Ecology Resources 15 (5): 1091–1101
Universidad de Concepción: http://www.agronomiaudec.cl/facultad/docentes/#dpto_produccion_vegetal