Zentrum für internationale Entwicklungs- und Umweltforschung (ZEU)
Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU)
D - 35390 Giessen
Tel.: +49 641 99 12700
Fax: +49 641 99 12709 / 12719
+49 641 99 12700
+49 641 99 12703
+49 641 99 12701
- Location Plan
Größere Karte anzeigen
- Zeughaus history
Originally, the elongated building in the style of the German Renaissance was a functional military building, which even to this day is called “Zeughaus”. The arsenal was erected at right angles to the Neue Schloss (New Castle) from 1586-90. The Neue Schloss itself had been built as a smaller but representative residence half a century before.
The ensemble surrounding the courtyard was completed by a stable and the revenue office.
Senckenbergstraße, today’s address of the Neue Schloss, was only built around 1900, long after the ramparts had been demolished.
The symmetrical “Zeughaus” with its mighty saddleback roof and high gables with their typical scrollwork and pellets still impresses today. The little annexe next to the main portal hails from the university’s founding days in 1609: it used to be the detention room, in which rowdy and drunk students were incarcerated.
This monumental building also burned out after the bombing in December 1944. During reconstruction from 1960-1961, the state of Hesse preserved the old outline und reconstructed the facade. Windows and rooms were modernised according to their new use. Both the Neue Schloss and the Zeughaus were conveyed into the ownership of the JLU in 1957.