Advice for Tandem Language Learning
Things you should discuss before you start:
Talk about your goals:
- What are your personal goals?
- To gain some speaking-practice?
- To prepare for a year abroad or a language-test?
- What are my partner’s goals? Do they match my goals?
- How do we deal with mistakes?
- Do we correct every mistake or only grave mistakes?
Find topics you can talk about:
- At the beginning: talk about yourself, your personal interests, your hometown…
- Search for topics you can talk about: a newspaper article, a book, current events…There are many different possibilities.
How do we talk?
- Try to spend an equal amount of time for each language
- Try not to switch from one language to the other in the middle of a sentence
- You won’t be able to have an answer to all the questions your partner asks; you are not a teacher
Some more advice:
- Try to take notes
- Write down any new word you've learned from your partner
- It is good to see some “results” so you continue being motivated
- Try to meet regularly. Practice makes perfect :)