Structuring Academic Texts
- The e-learning module "Themenstrukturierung und Gliederung" (only available in German) gives advice on topics such as finding a suitable research question, structuring academic texts and planning the writing process.
Language and Style
- The goal of the e-learning module "Collocations for Writing Academic Texts" is to learn how to recognize useful word combinations (collocations) in English and apply them to your written work in order to craft your expressions in a more academic way. Once you have completed this e-learning module, you will have gained strategies to recognize word combinations and have many useful academic collocations at your fingertips.
- The e-learning module “Using connectors correctly” will introduce you to the most important connectors in English, clarify their meaning and provide examples of how to use connectors to good effect.
- The Academic Phrasebank is an extremely useful resource for academic writers. It contains numerous examples of academic vocabulary, such as collocations and phrases for organising your writing.
- On its websites, the European Union offers numerous documents on writing and revising different text types (e.g., reports, press releases, and speeches) for a free download:
Punctuation in English
- The e-learning module "Using punctuation marks correctly" will give you all the information you need on English punctuation in order to enable you to express yourself in writing clearly and effectively.
Working with Sources
- The worksheet "Working with Sources: Quoting and Paraphrasing" contains information on how to work with sources and use them to good effect in your writing.
- JLU Gießen has issued official guidelines on plagiarism. You can download the brochure here.
- The University Library of JLU provides several online tutorials on researching literature and using the library's online resources.
- The Writing Lab at Purdue University offers advice on a number of topics, such as general aspects of writing, research and citation, subject-specific writing, and writing job applications.
- epax: study skills online offers a selection of video tutorials on, among other things, style and structure, as well as possibilities of systematic revision.
- The UCL Academic Writing App is a course in academic writing for use on mobile devices. The app is available for iPhone and Android.
- The University of Adelaide offers a large variety of videos and e-learning materials on topics such as essay writing and grammar: "English for Uni"