AfK-Nr. 275 Seminar: Intercultural Awareness Training
AfK-Nr. 275 Seminar: Intercultural Awareness Training – in englischer Sprache
This online seminar outlines the basic concepts of intercultural competence and cross-cultural communication, for developing and improving intercultural sensitivity and awareness. In addition, participants will improve their understanding of cultural differences and how these differences impact behaviour, perception, ways of thinking and interpersonal encounters.
The online seminar offers the flexibility of learning at your own pace and reflecting upon your acquired knowledge through the creation of a personal seminar portfolio (a collection of tasks and documents from class). The learning content will be supported through theoretical inputs, tasks for self-reflection, the examination of case studies, videos as well as through three separate meetings in which practical exercises and group discussions will take place.
The following topics will be covered:
• The concepts of culture and identity: definitions, theories and models; cultural dimensions and standards
• Perceptions and expectations: norms, beliefs, values, attitudes
• Inclusion and exclusion processes: stereotypes, prejudices and discrimination; integration, acculturation and culture shock
• Components of intercultural communication: verbal vs. non-verbal communication, conflict management (examination of critical incidents) and cooperation in an intercultural context; effects of globalization
• Intercultural competence and self-reflection: definition and aspects of intercultural competence such as tolerance, empathy and change of perspective
Proof of performance: the creation of a seminar portfolio (a collection of tasks from class). Deadline for the submission of the seminar portfolio: 25.03.2021 via email.
Participants will receive a mark of pass/fail; 1 CP is awarded for the successful completion of the course.