Research Associate (m/f/d)
Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspired by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 28,000 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories - your own and those of our university.
Support us as of now in full-time as a
Research Associate (m/f/d)
In accordance with § 2 WissZeitVG and § 65 HHG, the position is to be filled on a fixed-term basis as part of the orientation phase at the Institute of Physical Chemistry (work group Prof. Dr. Doreen Mollenhauer), Faculty of Biology and Chemistry with the opportunity for own academic training. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the state of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
Your tasks at a glance
- Opportunity for own academic qualification, activities in research and teaching according to § 65 HHG, taking on teaching duties according to the teaching obligation ordinance of the state of Hessen
- performing quantum chemical calculations on the topic of solid electrolytes and their interfaces to the lithium or sodium electrode
- calculation and analysis of the geometrical and electronic structures
- description of the ion transport in the solid electrolyte and at the interfaces
- methods: density functional theory with recent corrections, semiempirical methods and machine learning as well as molecular dynamic simulations will be applied
- the results are to be documented, evaluated and subsequently published.
- there will be a close cooperation with experimental working groups
Your qualifications and competences
- successfully completed a scientific education at a University (diploma or master’s degree) in chemistry, physics or material science and a doctoral degree in this field
- extensive knowledge in the field of theoretical chemistry / quantum chemistry and material modelling is expected
- experience in the field of solid state and surface modelling as well as modelling of molecular systems and in working with Linux systems and high-performance computers
- experience in ab initio molecular dynamics simulations and machine learning is also desirable
The project involves intensive scientific exchange with scientists from experimental work groups. This requires a very good command of the English language, the willingness to participate in international cooperation’s, excellent communication skills and an interest in interdisciplinary issues.
Our offer to you
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities.
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate "audit familiengerechte hochschule")
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. Due to the women's support plan, there is an obligation to increase the proportion of women. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference. In general, a division of the position in two part-time positions with 50% of the regular working hours is possible in accordance with the Hessian Equal Opportunities Act.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by February 1st, 2022 indicating reference number 698/08. We look forward to receiving your application.