Postdoctoral Scientist /Research Scientist (m/f/d) in the field of climate science, AI/ML and climate extremes
Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspi-red by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 26,500 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories - your own and those of our university.
Support us from the earliest possible date in the full-time position of
Postdoctoral Scientist /Research Scientist (m/f/d)
in the field of climate science, AI/ML and climate extremes
The position at the Center for International Development and Environmental Research is temporary and till 31st October 2027 and is offered within the framework of the joint Horizon Europe project “MedEWSa: Mediterranean and pan-European forecast and Early Warning System against natural hazards.” The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
The project you will be working on
The MedEWSa project, from 2023 to 2026, endeavors to create Multi-Hazard Early Warning Systems (MHEWS) designed to aid first responders and augment decision-making in crisis management situations when communities confront natural hazards and extreme weather events. The overarching goal of the project is to provide multi-hazard information and conduct risk analysis, contribute to impact-based forecasting, develop a fully integrated impact-based MHEWS, utilize AI-based decision-support solutions to enhance multi-hazard impact prediction and offer innovative financial solutions through risk transfer to capital markets, including Insurance-Linked Securities and parametric insurance. With targeted research on climate change and hazard-prone hotspots in the Euro-Mediterranean-African region, MedEWSa will build on existing established tools, will enhance collaboration, research, innovation, and the dissemination of knowledge and technologies in support of EU policies addressing global challenges. MedEWSa is aligned with the UN’s Early Warnings for All Initiative.
An overview of your tasks
- Conduct research, liaise with stakeholders and co-design the framework and components of the project's Decision Support System
- Data mining of high-resolution climate model simulations, seasonal forecasts and analysis of atmospheric drivers and predictors of extreme events
- Optimisation of AI-based systems for big datasets and climate models
- Development and implementation of AI-based approaches for the detection of extreme events, such as heat waves, wind storms, droughts, and their spatial-temporal extent
- Comprehensive analysis and testing of new techniques to evaluate the efficiency of methods for reproducing the distributional and temporal characteristics of extremes
- Transformation of the AI-based pipelines into service-oriented entities
- Forecasting, detection, analysis and impact assessment of weather/climate extremes, natural hazards and cascading events
- Dissemination of scientific results; Peer-reviewed publications and presentation of results at international conferences
Your qualifications and competences:
- A completed academic university degree (M.Sc.) in mathematics, statistics, physics, earth or agricultural sciences, engineering and environmental engineering
- A pertinent and completed Ph.D. dissertation
- Interest/knowledge in climate science and statistical applications
- Big data handling and mining experience (e.g. observations and climate model and seasonal forecast data); Statistical modeling, with preference on AI/ML expertise; Familiarity with working on extreme events
- Experience with Early Warning Systems will be considered a bonus. Please provide details
- Experience with Decision Support Systems will be considered a bonus. Please provide details
- Very good programming skills, ideally with relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Leadership and advanced communication skills, both in written and spoken English, and excellent academic writing skills
- Enthusiasm for work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and international environment
- Willingness to take responsibility and make a significant contribution to the joint project, take initiatives and contribute to the research and development of the group
Our offer to you:
- a varied job with flexible working hours
- free use of public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- more than 100 seminars, workshops and e-learning offers per year for your personal continuing process of education plus a large number of health and sports activities offered by the university
- payment according to collective wage agreements (TV-H), university pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- great compatibility of family and career (certificate “family-friendly university audit“)
For further information, please contact Dr. Elena Xoplaki (email@example.com).
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by December 10th, 2023, indicating reference number 714/Z. Your application should consist of a one-page motivation letter, CV, publication list, two reference persons, and copies of your Master and PhD diploma. We look forward to receiving your application.