Postdoc / Doctoral student / Research Associate (m/f/d) in the project “OrganicClimateNET – A pilot network of organic farming actors contributing to the uptake of climate farming and its co-benefits for a carbon neutral and climate resilient Europe”
Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspired by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 26,500 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories - your own and those of our university.
Support us as of now in full-time as a
Postdoc / Doctoral student / Research Associate (m/f/d)
in the project “OrganicClimateNET – A pilot network of organic farming actors contributing to the uptake of climate farming and its co-benefits for a carbon neutral and climate resilient Europe”
The position is to be filled on a fixed-term basis in accordance with § 2 WissZeitVG and § 72 HessHG with the opportunity for own academic qualification, half each at the Chair of Business Administration in the Food Economy and Agribusiness, Institute for Business Administration of the Agricultural and Food Sector (Prof. Dr. Christian Herzig) and the Chair for Organic Farming, Institute for Crop Production and Plant Breeding II (Prof. Dr. Andreas Gattinger) at the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Nutritional Sciences, and Environmental Management. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
As long as the maximum permissible duration of a fixed-term contract is not exceeded, you will be employed for a period of 4 years.
The aim of “OrganicClimateNET” is to establish a Europe-wide pilot network of 250 organic farms in order to test, improve and implement climate- and carbon-relevant management practices. The focus is on the exchange of knowledge between farmers, organized in 24 farm hubs in 12 EU countries and supported by trained advisors. The project will develop individual strategies of the pilot farms for carbon accounting and management as a model for the entire organic sector, as well as further develop training and information materials on climate and carbon and adapt them to organic farming. Furthermore, business models for carbon management and MRV (Monitoring, Reporting and Verification) and reward systems are being evaluated in order to enable a quantitative assessment of the EU organic sector’s emission reduction and sequestration potential by upscaling the data of the 250 pilot plants at EU level. The project is carried out jointly with 17 partner organizations (consultancy, agricultural associations, research) from 16 countries.
Your tasks at a glance
- Analysis of existing methods, tools and approaches for climate-related accounting and assessment of agricultural practices as well as development of strategies for farm climate management
- Analysis of existing monitoring, reporting and verification systems (MRV) and related reward mechanisms (trading with emission allowances/certificates)
- (further) development and testing of appropriate tools and business models for carbon farming in relation to organic agriculture and the EU climate and sustainability goals
- Participation in project management, public relations and other measures of knowledge transfer (e. g. policy papers, workshops, lectures)
The provision of academic services (including the conduct of a research project financed by third party funds on a temporary basis) also serves the purpose of academic qualification.
Your qualifications and competences
- Completed Master or equivalent university degree in agricultural sciences with a focus on agricultural economics or similar courses of study (with good to very good success); ideally with a doctorate / PhD in a relevant subject
- At best, in-depth knowledge of climate accounting and assessment as well as MRV / Carbon Rewarding systems
- Experience in data collection and analysis using quantitative research methods
- Good to very good knowledge of English
- Communication and team skills
- Commitment, creativity and self-initiative
Our offer to you
- Participation in two cooperating working groups of the professorships of Organic Farming with a focus on Sustainable Land Use (Prof. Dr. Andreas Gattinger) and Business Administration of the Food Economy and Agribusiness (Prof. Dr. Christian Herzig)
- An inspiring institutional environment in the field of ecological and sustainable management in the agricultural and food sector (including the Center for Sustainable Food Systems (ZNE) of JLU Giessen)
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate "audit familiengerechte hochschule")
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Dr. Andreas Gattinger by phone +49 641/99-37730 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Dr. Christian Herzig by phone +49 641/99-37271 or by e-mail Christian.Herzig@fb09.uni-giessen.de.
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by December 14th, 2023, indicating reference number 723/09. We look forward to receiving your application.