As part of its own funding program, Justus Liebig University annually awards postgraduate scholarships in the amount of €1,200 per month, plus €150 per month for supplies and travel costs, and other supplemental funding if needed. The scholarship is awarded in accordance with JLU's Statute on Awarding the Postgraduate Scholarship.
- College degree that allows one to start doctoral studies
- Above-average performance in studies and examinations
- A special talent for academic work
- Adhering to the JLU statute on Ensuring Good Scientific Practice in all areas
- The doctoral project should make an important and outstanding contribution to the pursuit of knowledge in the scholar's field of study.
- At the time of application, no preliminary work on a large scale regarding the doctoral project
An award of the scholarship is subject to available funding from JLU.
Applying in 2021
Information on how to apply and additional tips for applicants
Your application for a postgraduate scholarship at Justus Liebig University must contain the following documents:
2. Your curriculum vitae.
3. A dated work plan and timetable in German or in English, both in duplicate
(between 8 and 12 pages, Times New Roman font, size 12, 1.5 line spacing)
Introduce the work plan with a short comment about 50 words in length - preferably in German - that describes the project goal. Applicants must affirm via signature that they wrote and submitted the application themselves.
4. An appraisal by the supervising professor (please refer to the Letter from the Executive Board to the Supervisor) - which includes i. a. a written confirmation that, at the time of application, no preliminary work exists on a large scale regarding the doctoral project.
5. Your university diploma
(If this is unavailable, get a transcript from your examination Office.)
6. Written confirmation from the doctorate committee that you fulfill the requirements for doctoral studies.
Please send these documents to the following address prior to the application deadline of Friday, September 17, 2021:
Justus Liebig University Giessen
The postmark date, or the date you put the application into the mailbox of the Erwin Stein Building (Goethestrasse 58), must be on or prior to the deadline.
Women are especially encouraged to apply for a scholarship.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the Research Office (forschung; tel.: 0641/99-12101).
Please heed the following information as well:
Documents 1-4 mentioned above must be received by September 17, 2021. Documents 5-6 can be submitted later as long as they arrive by December 31, 2021.
In addition to the paper documents, please e-mail PDF copies of documents 1-3 prior to the deadline of September 18, 2020 to your faculty dean with the subject header "Application for a JLU postgraduate scholarship"
Anyone who submits an incomplete application by the deadline risks the application not being available for consideration due to the university's quick internal processing period.
Tips for applicants:
Please adhere to JLU's guidelines on data protection