Physical Activity and Health (BSc)
Living healthier in our technological and multi-media society is an important, modern topic.
With the bachelor degree course (BSc) Physical Activity and Health a sports science course with a modular structure and an emphasis on the close relationship of health and diet has been set up. The course is characterized by its clearly theory-based elements and the close connections made between the practical training section and the theory modules. The core subjects are: sports medicine, training science, sport psychology, science of body movement and nutritional science.
There is no particular test of suitability for practical sport. It is, however, expected that applicants come with an enthusiasm about sport and movement. A good knowledge of natural sciences, mathematics and English is also expected.
Number of enrolled students
353 students are enrolled in this Bachelor's degree course (as of winter semester 2017/2018).
Accreditationsince 19 August 2008.
Composition of the Study Programme
- Degree BSc
Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Duration of studies 6 Semester 180 Credit Points (CP)
Duration of Studies
6 Semesters - 180 Credit Points (CP)
- Composition of the Study Programme
Composition of degree programme
A core element are classes on principles and methods of a health-oriented sports training in specific areas of application: physical activity and sports for staying healthy in childhood, youth and age; physical activity and sports as therapy in case of internistic and neurological disease patterns.
The following modules comprise the course:
- Introduction to Sports Science
- Basics of Sports Medicine
- Functional Anatomy
- Training Sciences
- Basics of Natural Sciences
- Sports Psychology
- Movement Development
- Strength Training
- Evaluation of Training
- Nutrition Physiology
- Human Nutrition Sports Sociology/Sports Pedagogy
- Sports Therapy
- Sports and Prevention
- Movement Disorders
Students moreover complete a placement, take modules in a minor subject (Psychology or Special Needs Education/Therapeutic Pedagogy or Business and Economics) and write a Bachelor thesis.
- Commencement of Studies in the Winter Semester
Commencement of studies
Only possible in the winter semester
- Entrance Requirements Abitur ohne Praktikumsnachweis
- Applicants must have an Abitur (German school leaver's examination for university entrance) or equivalent. More on this...
- Certification of a pre-professional practical period is not required.
Special regulations apply to foreign applicants or those who gained their university-entrance qualifications abroad. Read more...
Health certificateWhen registering applicants must provide a doctor’s health certificate of their suitability for sport. The basic requirements for this certificate are the diagnostic procedures and criteria listed in the form "Certification of Suitability for Sport" (Bestätigung der Sporttauglichkeit). During the registration period this form is published on the webpage of the Sports Science Department, or can be found here.
- Application limited internally only winter semester
Application for admission and registration
- The intake capacity for the subject areas of electrical engineering and metal engineering of this degree programme is limited internally by the university. Admission is decided by the university following the guidelines of the Hessian admissions policy.
- Applications must be received by the JLU Student Secretariat by 15th July. More on this...
- Special regulations apply to foreign applicants or those who gained their university-entrance qualifications abroad.
- Career Options
Programmes of further study at JLU
The following consecutive master's degrees are offered by JLU:
Career options / Job market
This course of study qualifies students for positions in institutions dealing with health (prevention, rehabilitation, sport of the handicapped), in sports clubs, in health management at the work place, sports groups and the sport and free time industry.
Among the possible positions are those concerned with the organization of medical preventative and rehabilitation measures, teaching activities, scientific work, consultant activities, project planning and supervision, publicity, moderation and mediation in the area of sports and movement culture.
- Further Information: Documents
PDF documents for the courses of study
- (in German)
- Study guide (in German)
Examination- and study regulations
- Special regulations
(with module descriptions and module plans) (in English) Please note that only the German version of the modules is offical and legally binding. The english Version is for informative purposes only.)
- General study regulations for modular and multi-stage study programmes
Courses offered in the course catalogue
- Electronical course catalogue (in German)
- International pages
Please have a look at our International Pages for more information in English.
- Any Questions
Information- and advisory services of JLU can be found under the category “contact” on this page!
Do you need assistance in choosing the right courses of study?
- Subject Advisors
- Subject Advisor
Prof. Dr. Jörn Munzert
Sports Psychology and Kinesiology, room 9
Phone: +49 (0)641 - 99 25220/-1
Office hours: by appointment
- Central Study Advisor
- Central Student Services