Vocational Education and Training (B.Ed.)
The BA and MA degree courses with the title "Vocational Education and Training" are in line with the Hessian law governing teaching qualifications (Hessisches Lehrerbildungsgesetz, HLbG), giving the successful student the same status as candidates who have passed the first state teaching exams. The Master's degree is given the same status as the first state examination for vocational teaching. Thus the graduates may then apply for the subsequent practical preparation stage and, on successful completion of that (second state examination), may commence teaching at vocational institutions.
Number of enrolled students177 students are enrolled in this bachelor degree course (as of winter semester 2017/18).
Accreditationsince 19 August 2006.
Composition of the Study Programme
- Duration of studies 6 Semester 180 Credit Points (CP)
Duration of Studies
6 Semesters - 180 Credit Points (CP)
- Composition of the Study Programme
Composition of degree programme
Students must choose between two BA courses of studies according to their vocational subject.
The first BA programme is for students of The second BA programme is for students of Agriculture Electrical Engineering* Nutrition and Home Economics Metal Engineering* *The second programme is offered in cooperation with the Giessen University of Applied Sciences.
The programme contains
- educational studies and social sciences such as Sociology, Political Science, Psychology (the educational components are gleaned from the study of professional, vocational and business education.)
- one of the above-mentioned areas of focus
- complementary subject (see below for details)
- vocational and business education (not as an area of focus!!!)
- vocational and didactic studies
Educational studies and social sciences
Educational studies and social sciences deal with such areas as the realities of education (for example: familial education, school education) theory of learning, social environment of pupils, parents and teachers, the basics of democracy etc. These subjects are components of the course, because teachers should not only transmit the knowledge of their subject. They also have a role to play in upbringing. In order to fulfil this role, they must be able to identify and understand structures and processes which are pertinent to school and society, and explain these to individual pupils.
- Political Science
- Complementary subjects for study
Complementary subjects for study
The subject is to be chosen from those on offer for students who are training to become secondary school teachers at Justus Liebig University in Giessen. The courses on offer are:
- Religious Education (Protestant)1,5
- Religious Education (Catholic)1,5
- Politics and Economics
1 Please see language requirements
2 Please see aptitude test before commencement of studies.
3 Please see mathematics prep-course.
4 Please see prep-course mathematics for students of physics.
5 For students without a Latinum (Latin qualification), a prep-course will be offered as an alternative to a Latin course during the semester.
- Commencement of Studies in the Winter Semester
Commencement of studies
Only possible in the winter semester
- Entrance Requirements
- Applicants must have an Abitur (German school leaver's examination for university entrance) or equivalent.
- Special regulations apply to foreign applicants or those who gained their university-entrance qualifications abroad.
- To study Sport, candidates must pass an aptitude test.
- Language requirements
Please note that you might have to give proof that you fulfil certain language skills already upon matriculation.
- Subject-specific prerequisites
- For each of the Bachelor's courses of study, it is a prerequisite to have completed in advance a work experience at an institution relevant to the student's chosen area of focus comprising 52 weeks.
- Documentation of this period of work experience must be submitted when registering for the course of studies.
- Relevant training can sometimes be recognised as work experience. Please address all enquiries to the relevant board of examiners.
- Application limited internally only winter semester
Application for admission and registration
- Applications must be received by the JLU Student Secretariat by 15th July. More on this...
Please note that the deadline for courses of study that are not limited can be extended. The deadline extensions will be published in the application portal.
- Career Options
Options for further study at JLU
The Master’s is the equivalent to the first state teaching examination.
The Bachelor’s degree may lead on to either direct entry into professional life or continuing on from the Bachelor’s to a Master’s. Only on completion of a Master’s can one apply for the practical preparation stage of the qualification.
With a Bachelor’s degree, one can hope to find work in education outwith schools, or in pre-vocational education and consulting. With a Master’s degree, one can hope to find work at a vocational school.
In Hesse, there is the opportunity at other tertiary education institutions to work towards other types of degree in vocational teaching. Further information can be found under “Studying in Hesse” at the.
Alternative means of entry to the BA programme in Vocational Education and Training
If you have completed one of the areas of focus whilst doing another degree, you may apply for recognition of this from the board of examiners. Usually, however, relevant aspects of the main subjects, the complementary subjects or vocational or business education are missing, and because these are all essential elements of the BA programme, students are often admitted into a higher semester. See information page on alternative entry
- Subject Advisors
Vocational Education and Training
Dr. Erika Gericke (Substitute)
Institut für Erziehungswissenschaften
Professur für Berufspädagogik und Arbeitslehre
Phil II, building B, room B2a
Karl-Gloeckner-Straße 21, 35394 Giessen
Subject advisor, recognition of internships and academic achievements
Subject area: Agriculture/Nutrition/Household Science
- Markus Gitter, M.Ed
Phil II, building B, room 4a
Karl-Glöckner-Str. 21, 35394 Giessen
Tel.: 0641 - 99 24038
Contact hours: Wed 11:00 - 12:00
Subject area: mechanical engineering/electrical engineering
- Markus Gitter, M.Ed
- Central Study Advisor
- Central Student Services