Benutzerspezifische Werkzeuge

Information zum Seitenaufbau und Sprungmarken fuer Screenreader-Benutzer: Ganz oben links auf jeder Seite befindet sich das Logo der JLU, verlinkt mit der Startseite. Neben dem Logo kann sich rechts daneben das Bannerbild anschließen. Rechts daneben kann sich ein weiteres Bild/Schriftzug befinden. Es folgt die Suche. Unterhalb dieser oberen Leiste schliesst sich die Hauptnavigation an. Unterhalb der Hauptnavigation befindet sich der Inhaltsbereich. Die Feinnavigation findet sich - sofern vorhanden - in der linken Spalte. In der rechten Spalte finden Sie ueblicherweise Kontaktdaten. Als Abschluss der Seite findet sich die Brotkrumennavigation und im Fussbereich Links zu Barrierefreiheit, Impressum, Hilfe und das Login fuer Redakteure. Barrierefreiheit JLU - Logo, Link zur Startseite der JLU-Gießen Direkt zur Navigation vertikale linke Navigationsleiste vor Sie sind hier Direkt zum Inhalt vor rechter Kolumne mit zusaetzlichen Informationen vor Suche vor Fußbereich mit Impressum


FAQ - English Version

FAQ concerning the new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2)

General information

The keywords in the FAQ section are sorted alphabetically. Here you will find information on the topics Admissions tests, Airing rooms, Booking and occupying rooms, Botanical garden, Business trips, Campus areas / Buildings, Cases of illness / Suspected cases of illness, Catering, Child care, Certificates / Student ID (chip card), Contact details, Contact persons, Corona test, Curfew, Deadlines, Goods: Orders and Deliveries, Digital teaching, Disinfection of surfaces, Employees, Events, Examinations, Excursions, First aid, Finances, Financial support for students, Forms / documents, Free examination attempts, Habilitation procedures, Hygiene concept, Hygiene rules for external service providers, JLU helps, JLU's Pandemic Plan, Law on temporary employment in higher education (WissZeitVG), Libraries, Mail, Mandatory masks, Meetings, Meetings of University Governing Bodies, Mobile working / working from home, Normal course length, Password collection / Reset your password, Personal safety precautions, Quarantine cases, Research, Restricted movement radius (15-km regulation), Risk areas in Germany, Risk groups, Signatures, Sports facilities, Stays abroad / international mobilities, Student and academic assistants, Studies and teaching at JLU, Summer semester 2020, Synchronous communication, Support, Test persons, Thesis defences, Travelling / travel return, Vacation days, Virtual public events, Winter semester 2020/21, and working from home /mobile working.

Where can I find general information on the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2?
General information on the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 is provided in the FAQ on the website of Robert Koch Institute (RKI).
General information concerning organisational questions about how to deal with corona is provided by the Hessian state government.

All documents / forms / applications


Information on the disinfection of surfaces

Manual for the disinfection of surfaces

External service providers: Hygiene regulations for external service providers

Meetings of university governing bodies/internal committee meetings: Safety precautions for meetings of university governing bodies and internal committee meetings

Hygiene concept: Hygiene concept of JLU

Template for hygiene concepts

Face-to-face courses/Examinations:

Application for face-to-face courses and face-to-face examinations

Organisational information on booking rooms for examinations and face-to-face courses

Safety precautions for face-to-face courses and examinations

Template: attendance list

Template: Documentation of contact details

Test persons: Safety precautions for dealing with test persons

Regulations regarding the corona pandemic

Law on temporary employment in higher education (WissZeitVG): Information on amendment


Airing rooms

Last updated 14 October 2020, 5 p.m.

Airing rooms reduces the number of fine droplets (aerosols) containing pathogens that may be present in the air. If rooms are not connected to a technical ventilation system, please make sure to air your room accordingly. This means that you should leave as much air from outside into your room as possible. Cross-ventilation is ideal for this purpose as room air is quickly exchanged for fresh air through a draught between at least two opposite, wide open windows. However, even impulse ventilation with the window also wide open for a few minutes is effective. information on how to air rooms.


Booking and occupying rooms

Last updated 9 November 2020, 08:30 a.m

All lecture halls and seminar rooms are available to all faculties at JLU for examinations, meetings of university governing bodies, committee meetings and other official meetings. Due to the current distance regulations, however, many rooms are only suitable for a small number of people (see available rooms).The seats set up in each room are based on the calculated maximum number of persons for the respective room. You can find further information on the number of seats allocated for each room on Stud.IP.

Information on the application for rooms under pandemic conditions

Please note the information on the organisation of the room booking for examinations, the protective measures, the measures for meetings of university governing bodies, internal committee meetings and other meetings, the information on how to air rooms as well as the information on how to collect contact data.


Campus areas / Buildings

Last updated 24 September 2020, 5 p.m.

Access to buildings
JLU buildings including JLU  sports facilities will remain closed to the public. This applies to all buildings except for the university library. Access will be restricted to employees and authorised persons, such as examinees and students taking part in face-to-face courses also during the winter semester. For regulations concerning student assistants, please view the FAQ Employees.

According to JLU house rules, the deans are in charge of implementing these rules (“Hausrechtsbeauftragte”) in their faculties.

When will the botanical garden open again?
The botanical garden remains closed to the public for the time being, also in view of the limited space available due to the construction work. Until further notice, priority is given to ensuring that the garden can be used for research and teaching under increased safety and hygiene standards. We are currently examining whether and under what circumstances the garden can be made accessible to visitors again in the near future.

Cases of illness / Suspected cases of illness / Reporting quarantine cases

Last updated 18 November 2020, 6 p.m

What should I do if I have cold symptoms?

Employees with cold symptoms are not allowed to come to work and have to call in sick. In case of fever, cough or shortness of breath and any other symptoms, contact your general practitioner - initially by telephone. As is generally the case with all cases of illness, inform your superior or your department as well.


How to act in quarantine cases

Employees and students are also not permitted to enter any of the university buildings if

  • you are classified as a contact person of category 1 with close contact (“higher” risk of infection) as defined by RKI
  • you are in quarantine / isolation as stated in Section 1, Sentence 1 of the Ordinance on the Control of the Coronavirus of 13 March 2020, as amended, particularly due to return from a foreign risk area)  (§ 1 Abs. 1 der Verordnung zur Bekämpfung des Corona-Virus vom 13. März 2020)
  • you have received an order for a separation / isolation by the public health department
  • you are waiting for a test result or
  • you have tested positive for Covid-19.


Reporting quarantine cases

Quarantine cases must be reported immediately by email to the following two addresses: (Department C- Human Resources) and (Division B3 - Safety and Environment). Students are urgently requested to proceed in the same way.

The information must contain prename, surname, status at JLU (employee / student), affiliation (organisational unit) and duration of the quaratine (date of beginning and end).

As a rule of thumb, regardless of the quarantine period imposed by the public health department, JLU buildings should only be re-entered if no symptoms have appeared for 48 hours.


A person infected with SARS-CoV-2 has taken part in a face-to-face course or event

If a person infected with SARS-CoV-2 has taken in a face-to-face course, no quarantine measures have to be initiated in general if the face-to-face course was held in compliance with all valid hygiene and protection measures. A person tested positive is contagious two days before the symptoms begin. The person in charge of the attended face-to-face course or event during the respective period must be informed immediately. The information must also be immediately reported via email to the following two addresses: (Department C- Human Resources) and (Division B3 - Safety and Environment).

If the hygiene rules have not been observed, as may be the case in laboratories or sports practices in smaller groups, for example, and if direct contact has lasted for more than 15 minutes or the respective persons have stayed in an unventilated room for more than 30 minutes, then a higher risk of infection must be assumed. The respective persons are contact persons of category 1 then.

The procedure for the person in charge of the event is the following:

  • The follow-up period begins two days before the onset of symptoms - if no symptoms have occurred, then the follow-up starts two days before the test.
  • Use the participation lists/seating plans to determine which persons are eligible as category 1 contact persons.
  • Inform the category 1 contact persons about the situation. Do not provide any name, but indicate the place and time of the possible contact and point out that the public health department will determine how to proceed. Until then, the informed persons should go into voluntary domestic quarantine. They should comply with the hygiene regulations and should reduce social contacts as far as possible. If they show any symptoms of illness, they should immediately consult a doctor by telephone.
  • Communicate the data of the contact persons by e-mail to the public health department ( as well as to Department C – Human Resources ( and to Division B3 - Safety and Environment ( by stating the positively tested index case with surname, first name and place of residence.

The ill/infected person can also contact the contact persons in advance on his or her own initiative so that they can go into quarantine and contact the Health Department. If you need assistance, please contact


What do I do if the corona warning app shows an increased risk?

In the case of an increased risk, there have presumably been encounters with at least one person who has tested positive for corona within the past 14 days. The warning app tells the person to stay at home and to contact a general practitioner, the medical on-call service on 116117 or the public health department. The further procedure is coordinated from there. If a quarantine and/or infection has been ordered / diagnosed, please report this to your supervisor(s) and also inform the Human Resources Department C – Human Resources and Division B3 - Safety and Environment by e-mail. See also the information under "How to act in quarantine cases" and "Reporting quarantine cases" above.


Does JLU cover the costs of a corona test?

JLU does not cover the costs of corona tests. Please contact your health insurance company to find out whether they will cover the costs of a corona test. There are also no separate possibilities for testing at JLU. If you suspect that a corona test is necessary, you should contact your general practitioner or the public health department. A corona test will then be arranged.

Information provided by the Federal Ministry of Health on certain tests to prove the infection with the corona virus SARS-CoV-2

Certificates / Student ID (chip card)

Last updated 25 September 2020, 5 p.m.

How do I get my certificates of enrolment and where can I update my JLU chip card (student ID)?

JLU students can request their certificates of enrolment for the winter semester 2020/21 online.

You can update you JLU chip card (student ID and season ticket for public transport) at various locations on campus (but currently not at the student affairs office as the building is still closed to the public).

Further information on requesting certificates of enrolment and updating your JLU chip card (including a list of locations where you can update your chip cards)

Issuing chip cards

Unfortunately, JLU chip cards can neither be produced nor issued yet due to the consequences of the IT security incident. The IT Service Centre is working on restoring the affected systems. We will provide information via the JLU website as soon as the chip card production continues. Until then, we ask for your patience. Freshers will receive their chip cards by mail.

If you currently require proof of your RMV ticket, please get in touch with the registrar’s office. If you have any other questions or problems, please inform the relevant offices within JLU about the fact that you do not currently have an up-to-date chip card due to this situation to ensure that individual solutions can be found there.


Contact details

Last updated 9 November 2020, 9 a.m.

Do I have to provide my contact details?

In accordance with the current corona contact and operating restrictions ordinance of the state of Hessen, participants of face-to-face events must indicate their name, address and telephone number since October 2020 to enable tracing possible infections. This particularly applies to teaching, examinations and admission courses, as well as to the use of study, computer and work rooms, and work spaces in libraries. Collecting this data is exclusively done in order to be able to trace infections. These contact data will be deleted after one month. Those responsible for the event or course must ensure that the data is stored securely and deleted in a timely manner.

You will find the current version of the corona contact and operating restrictions ordinance on the homepage of the Hessian state government under the heading “Für Bürgerinnen und Bürger: Aktuelle Lesefassungen der Verordnungen” (German version only).

Template: attendance list

Template: Documentation of contact details

Note for lecturers: The contact data can also be collected by a plugin on Stud.IP. For more information please visit:

Disinfection of surfaces

Last updated 15 May 2020, 5 p.m

To guarantee that every member of JLU can disinfect all surfaces appropriately if needed, disinfectants are kept on hand for any disinfection that may be carried out independently. Please observe the information on disinfection of surfaces and the instructions for the disinfecting cleaning of surfaces.



Last updated 11 January 2021, 5 p.m.

Employees of the state of Hessen are expected to follow the recommendations of the Robert-Koch Institute for protection against the coronavirus Sars-CoV-2. These particularly include the distance regulations (keeping a distance of at least 1.5 metres), hygiene measures, wearing a mouth-and-nose cover (“everyday mask”) and regular airing of closed rooms.

This also means that personal contacts with colleagues should be kept to a minimum and telephone or video conferences should be held instead. If possible, electronic mail should be used primarily. Accordingly, events and face-to-face meetings must be reduced to an absolute minimum and are only possible if the distance and hygiene regulations can be observed in the respective rooms.

Can I currently work from home?

During the following weeks, working in all JLU research, teaching and administrative areas must be ensured. To guarantee the functionality in all areas of responsibility, employees should be enabled, if and wherever possible, to do the following: Based on the mutual alternating physical presence at the workplace and on mobile working within the framework of team formation, employees should be present at the workplace where it is necessary and required by the nature of their tasks and activities. Mobile working should be made possible by superiors wherever it is reasonable without interfering with official tasks and activities.

The availability via telephone or electronically must be guaranteed while working from home. Working overtime is generally not possible while working from home. Deviations from this are only permitted in special individual cases, if the current, pandemic-related workload makes this necessary.


What do I need to keep in mind when I deal with official documents while working from home?

  • Please only take home the documents specifically required for your work. You should only keep these documents at home as long as your work with these (do not leave them at home after you finished working with them).
  • Transport the official documents in a sealed container, e.g. in a notebook case or briefcase.
  • Keep the official documents locked away while you work from home when you do not use or need them for a specific task.
  • Third parties (including family members) must not gain access to the official documents while you work from home with them. This also applies to using them on a computer. You must also ensure that the official documents are not accessible when you leave the room either by locking the door, by keeping them under lock and key or, if you work with them on your computer, by using password protection.

Do I have to resume my work at at my workplace if mobile working or working from home is not possible due to my specific work activity?

If the tasks and activities that you perform are not suitable for working from home, you must carry them out at your workplace in compliance with all hygiene regulations. Based on a previous assessment of the working conditions, your supervisors must determine – if necessary in consultation with the occupational safety specialists - whether occupational health and safety measures are necessary to effectively protect you from health risks associated with the performance of your work. A distinction must be made between technical, organisational and personal protection measures. Possible measures are, for example, the installation of protective walls shifting working hours (including morning and/or evening hours), working from home, reducing overtime and flexitime, checking the allocation of a single room, checking the allocation of other activities within the right to issue instructions, wearing protective clothing, wearing a mouth-and-nose cover, adherence to distance and hygiene regulations etc.

Please also refer to the occupational health and safety information and to the information on how to air rooms.

What if working from home / mobile working as well as working at my workplace with protective measures is not possible?

Should neither working from home nor working at the regular workplace under strict adherence of all hygiene measures not be possible especially due to the specific work activities, overtime and extra hours must be reduced and remaining holidays from the calendar year 2019 must be used. In exceptional, duly substantiated cases, the respective authority may decide to grant paid time off from work if the regulations within the duty in respect of care and supervision and within service obligation have been considered.

What tools are available for synchronous communication and collaboration?
In connection with the measures to contain the coronavirus, JLU staff in the areas of teaching, research and administration/organisation have a selection of tools at their disposal to implement synchronous communication and collaboration (online seminars, virtual meetings, etc.). A list of the tools with their respective functional focus as well as information on how to get access to them can be found here:


What do I do if I need a signature / a seal for particular documents while working from home or while trying to reduce the contact with my colleagues to a bare minimum?

We recommend scanning and then emailing the relevant documents. The respective office or persons in charge should subsequently send back the original document by post / by internal mail.


Night-time curfew

What do I have to bear in mind at my place of residence or place of work during the night-time curfew?

The night-time curfew between 9 p.m. in the evening and 5 a.m. in the morning for so-called corona hotspots has been in force since 13 December 2020 until 12 January 2021 so far. The curfew applies both to the district and the city of Giessen (official decree of the district of Giessen).

Job activities are excluded from this regulation among other things. In justified cases in which employees must also perform work tasks during the curfew hours - in the case of on-call duty to take care of technical faults or in patient care at the clinics of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, for instance – JLU will provide certificates guaranteeing employees to be able to get to their workplace.

You can access the relevant form here. You must fill it in electronically and it must be signed by your supervisor. You must have it with you when travelling to the place of work at night or from the place of work to home during the duration of the curfew. Please also carry an official photo ID to be able to identify yourself in the event of a check. Please note: For professors, the respective dean must sign the form.

Please note that the certificate is only valid for the direct route from your place of residence to your place of work and back.

I commute a long distance and start/end my commute between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.

Check with your supervisor whether your working hours can be adjusted. If this is not possible for operational reasons, you must receive the above-mentioned certificate. The district of Giessen points out that when using public transport, a missed bus, for example, does not legitimise a breach of the curfew.


I need the certificate at short notice, but I do not have the opportunity to obtain the original signature from my supervisor. What should I do?

In this case, it is possible for the supervisor to fill in the form, print it out and scan it with the signature so that the employee can print out the signed form. The employee should receive the copy with the original signature as soon as possible, for example by post.


I do not live in the district of Giessen. Which regulations apply to me?

The night-time curfew is not confined to the place of residence. It applies to all persons staying in the affected area.


Restriction of movement to 15-km radius

Is my way to work at JLU affected by the movement restriction of the 15-km radius?

From 15 January 2021 onwards, the movement regulation is implemented, officially restricting one’s allowed travel radius to 15 kilometres around one’s place of residence. This accounts for so-called hotspots. This regulation applies both to the city and the district of Giessen. Please note the current official decree of the district of Giessen, which applies from 11 January 2021 until at least 31 January 2021: According to this decree, residents of the district of Giessen are prohibited from moving within a radius of more than 15 km of their place of residence (political municipality) for day-trip purposes.

As a result, the 15-km rule does not apply to employees working for JLU on site. JLU employees can identify themselves through their staff identification cards. As a precautionary measure, an online form is available for those who do not have such a staff identification card.

Please note: This form does not apply to the night-time curfew. A separate form must be used for this, which can be found here. Employees who have to undertake a compulsory business trip should carry the respective permit with them. Information on the movement radius for students can be found under Studies and Teaching.

What can I do if I need a form at short notice but do not have the opportunity to get the original signature from my supervisor?

In this case, your supervisor can fill in the form, print it out and scan it with a signature so that you can print out the signed form. The copy with the original signature should be made available to the employee as soon as possible, for example by post.


How can I obtain a staff identification card with which I can identify myself as a JLU employee?

As a result of the cyber attack on JLU, it is unfortunately not possible to produce and issue personalised staff identification cards with a photo at the moment. If you have any specific questions about the staff identification card, please contact us by e-mail at

Child care

I have to look after my child/children under the age of 12 as the school or day care centre is closed. Can I stay at home and will I still receive my salary?

If childcare facilities or schools are temporarily closed due to the corona pandemic, it must be examined whether mobile working is possible. This also applies if entering these facilities is prohibited or if they only operate in a restricted manner.

As a rule, partial or complete exemption from service with continued payment of remuneration due to childcare is not an option. In exceptional cases of hardship, leave from work or service with continued payment of remuneration may be granted. As a rule, however, the application can only be granted if and to the extent that all of the following conditions are met - if necessary, only for individual days or by the hour:

Priority should be given to checking whether mobile working is possible. In exceptional cases, a paid leave of absence can be granted. The application for leave of absence from work with continued payment can generally only be granted if and to the extent that the following conditions are all met - even if only for individual days or hours:

- Actual complete or partial closure of a communal facility for child care (daycare centre, nursery, etc.) or school by the respective authority in order to prevent the spread of infections or transmissible diseases in response to the spread of the corona virus, or restricted regular operation for this reason

- Children affected by the closure or the restricted regular operation have not yet reached the age of 12 years or they depend on assistance due to physical, mental or psychological disability (no age limit in the case of disability)

- There is no possibility for the employee with custody rights to ensure care by working from home, mobile working, reducing overtime or flexitime hours or by taking up holiday

→ These opportunities are to be used by the employees as a priority at first.

- No other reasonable care facility for the child can be guaranteed,

→ A reasonable possibility of care is given in particular if there is an entitlement to emergency childcare in accordance with the official legal regulations of the Hessian state government or if the other parent or a family care group can be in charge of childcare. The employee must explain in writing why he or she cannot draw on these alternative care options, even on an hourly basis, or why they are not reasonable for his or her child in exceptional cases,

- A closure of the institution in question during the period in question would not in any case occur because of school holidays/closing times.

May I bring my child to the workplace?
No, children must not be brought to the workplace in order to reduce the risk of infection.


Can I take into account days of absence?

The decision by the federal government and the federal states (Bund-Länder-Beschluss) of 5 January is important in this regard. Due to the suspension of compulsory attendance at schools and limited childcare options, the existing entitlement to days off for childcare may not be sufficient in some cases. To this end, the federal government has announced a legal regulation that child sick pay will be granted for 10 additional days per parent (20 additional days for single parents) in 2021.


I must take care of a close relative in need of care because the day care facility was closed due to infection protection measures because of the corona virus or because the admission is not possible

The same regulations apply as for childcare (see above).


When do I have to submit a certificate of incapacity in case of illness?

As before, you must report to your superior as of the first day of illness. A certificate of incapacity to work is required if the incapacity takes more than three calendar days. The certificate of incapacity must contain the expected period and must be handed in by the fourth day of absence.

I have been in close contact with a possibly infected person who still needs to be tested for the virus. Should I stay home as a precaution?
Until the test results are known, you must stay away from the workplace. As this is an order by the employer, you will still be paid your salary as long as you are on leave.

I have been in close contact with an infected person. What do I do?
You must stay away from the workplace and you strictly need to follow the instructions of the public health department. In this case, the public health department will impose a quarantine. You will continue to be paid for a maximum period of six weeks. From the beginning of the seventh week, your salary is paid by the respective authority in accordance with the regular sick pay.


Risk groups and safety measures

The Robert-Koch Institute (RKI) has adjusted its information on risk groups at increased risk of a serious course of disease. According to the current information of the RKI, the variety of different potentially predisposing pre-existing conditions and their severity (e.g. already existing organ damage) as well as the multitude of other influencing factors (e.g. age, gender, weight, certain behaviours, adequate medical/therapeutic treatment) and their individual combination options clearly illustrate the complexity of a risk assessment. A general definition for the classification of a risk group can hence no longer be made. A personal risk assessment in the sense of a medical evaluation is required instead.

Based on a medical certificate that confirms the increased individual risk for a serious course of disease, the obligation to be present can be lifted. The medical certificate must confirm that in case of an infection with the corona virus SARS CoV-2 according to the criteria of the Robert Koch Institute, there is a risk of a serious course of disease due to the special disposition The costs of the medical certificate must be borne by the employees themselves. In unclear cases, the head of the respective authority may initiate a company medical examination.

We further refer to the occupational health recommendation "Dealing with employees in need of special protective measures due to the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic". The risk groups can ("should" from group 3 onwards according to the above-mentioned occupational health recommendation) be given the opportunity to perform their work from home (mobile working), if possible.

If the tasks and activities that you perform are not suitable for working from home / mobile working, overtime and flexitime hours must be used to balance this situation. In justified exceptional cases, the respective authority may decide whether to grant paid leave of absence from work on the basis of an occupational medical examination and by taking into account the duty of care and the fulfilment of the duty to provide services.


How and where can I cancel my previously submitted vacation days if my planned trip is cancelled and I want to work instead so that I can take the respective vacation days later?

Previously approved leave cannot be withdrawn unilaterally by either the employer or the employee. There is no "right of cancellation". Any subsequent change to the previously approved leave requires a corresponding agreement between the parties to the employment contract. A cancellation can only be agreed to if your work performance is urgently required during the planned holiday period or in cases of particularly justified hardship.

The cancellation of vacation days is processed in the same way as the application for leave, i.e. at the same authority. Applications for leave are generally processed differently, depending on the respective department (i.e. if applications are handed in by staff employed at the different faculties or by administrative staff).

Law on temporary employment in higher education - Maximum time within temporary employment extended for doctoral students and postdocs

As a result of the COVID 19 pandemic, there are various restrictions on the work or research projects of scientific and artistic staff, in particular due to pandemic-related closures of laboratories, libraries, etc. Scientists and researchers in their qualification phase according to Section 2(1) (§ 2 Absatz 1) of the law on temporary employment in higher education (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz, WissZeitVG) are particularly affected by these restrictions, as they are subject to the maximum time limits of six years before and six years - in the field of medicine nine years - after the doctorate according to Section 2(1) points 1 and 2 (§ 2 Absatz 1 Satz 1 und 2 WissZeitVG).

Against this background, the total permissible fixed-term limit in accordance with Section 2(1) (§ 2 Absatz 1 WissZeitVG) has been extended by 6 months for employment relationships existing or having existed between 1 March 2020 and 30 September 2020 as of 1 March 2020 as stated in Section 7(3).

The statutory ordinance of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (WissZeitVG-Befristungsdauer-Verlängerungs-Verordnung-WissBdVV), which comes into force on 1 October 2020, extends this maximum fixed-term limit for the above-mentioned employment relationships by another six months. 

For employment relationships that will be or have been newly established between 1 October 2020 and 31 March 2021, the total permissible fixed-term period under Section 2(1) points 1 and 2 (§ 2 Abs. 1 Satz 1 und 2) according to the law on temporary employment in higher education (WissZeitVG) is extended by six months.

Further information (entitled persons, application, etc.) on the amendment of the WissZeitVG can be found here.


Maximum duration of fixed-term civil servant or employment contracts for (qualification) professorships ("tenure-track professorships") and junior professorships extended

In view of the continuing corona pandemic and the associated restrictions on the scientific community, the Minister of Higher Education, Research and the Arts has decreed the following: The total permissible duration of employment in a temporary civil servant position or in a fixed-term contract as a (qualification) professor ("tenure-track professorship") or junior professor can be extended by six months if a civil servant position or a fixed-term employment contract exists between 1 March 2020 and 30 September 2020. This regulation applies retroactively from 15 March 2020 and ends on 31 December 2021. Applications for extensions must be submitted to the Department of Human Resources through the usual official channels as long as the regulation applies. This means that a brief explanation on the effects of the pandemic must be submitted via the dean's offices. In this context, the Executive Board at JLU points out that the targets defined within the contracts for holders of (qualification) professorships ("tenure-track professorships") are generally to be achieved in their entirety, so that even without extending the temporary civil servant position or a fixed-term employment contract, the possibility to take the effects of the corona pandemic into account within the interim or the final evaluation procedures should exist.

What do student and academic assistants need to keep in mind?

The same regulations apply to all assistants employed at JLU: If the tasks and processes cannot be fulfilled or carried out at home, you need to work at your workplace by strictly observing all hygiene measures. Considering the pandemic situation, student and academic assistants can work interdepartmentally if previously agreed upon with the respective supervisor.


Last updated 2 December 2020, 4 p.m.

Events from 1 October 2020 onwards

From 1 October 2020 onwards, events that do not only count as university teaching can take place again. Yet due to the dynamic pandemic development, JLU only approves those face-to-face events that are immediately related to studies and teaching.

Please note: With regard to the prevailing distance and hygiene regulations, JLU rooms are still only available for a limited number of people (see list of bookable rooms). Particularly in view of the dynamic development of the pandemic, it is urgently recommended to check in advance whether the event absolutely has to take place at the planned date or whether it can still be postponed. In some cases, planned events may have to be cancelled, which can result in cancellation costs.

For events from 1 October 2020 onwards, you must observe special protective measures, such as the obligation to wear a mask. To plan events, you can also use the planning aid for fire and health protection, which takes into account the currently valid regulations. In addition, you must provide a separate hygiene concept for the individual events and send this to A template is available for creating a hygiene concept. Please also note the obligation to record contact data.

Events taking place at restaurants, accommodation facilities and in cooperation with caterers must also take into account the hygiene concepts applicable to these areas. These hygiene concepts can be obtained from the respective contractual partners. Furthermore, the events must be reported to Department E, Division E3 (

Meetings of university governing bodies and internal committee meetings (which also include appointment committees) are included in the allowed forms of face-to-face meetings according to official regulations of the Hessian government. Persons who need to cooperate and work together for business, professional, official, educational or care-related reasons are thus allowed to have face-to-face meetings. These meetings should take place as face-to-face meetings as far as the general conditions at JLU allow. Please also note our official regulations for university governing bodies of JLU, further information on how to air rooms, protective measures for face-to-face meetings and for appointment procedures.

No catering: In accordance with the official regulations of the district of Gießen from 27 November 2020, food and beverages may not be offered or supplied at meetings or gatherings of persons who must work together directly for business or care-related reasons. However, in accordance with the explanations provided by the district in the above-mentioned regulations, participants may bring their own food and drink.


Virtual public events at JLU

Under the motto "Together - at a distance", JLU offers a virtual substitute for public events. On the website, video and audio formats and other digital offers produced by JLU can be accessed via smartphone, tablet or PC. All services are free of charge and are aimed at the general public in Giessen and the surrounding region.The website was set up at the beginning of the summer semester and will be continuously updated with additional offerings.


Last updated 11 January 2021, 5 p.m.

Will admissions tests or tests of creative ability take place?

Some subjects or courses of study at JLU require an admissions test. You will find further information on admissions tests here.


Will on-campus examinations in the responsibility of JLU take place?

The crisis management committee has decided to continue offering the scheduled on-campus / face-to-face examinations. Examinations may be conducted in attendance if they take place in strict compliance with the implemented hygiene and infection control measures at JLU. There is still no obligation for students to take the current examination dates: Students can instead still opt for the next regular examination date for scheduled on-campus / face-to-face examinations in the responsibility of JLU. We ask students to avoid any unnecessary contact with other persons in the course of scheduled on-campus / face-to-face examinations. Should there be any changes, those affected will be informed directly and immediately by their lecturers/examiners.

Should the regulations cause unacceptable cases of hardship for individual students, these students are asked to contact the Staff Division Studies, Teaching, Further Training and Quality Assurance (StL) via email. Those students enrolled in a state examination course of study should contact the respective examinations office.


Notes for teachers:

  • You need authorisation from your respective dean’s office or the management of the centre you work for in order to hold an exam. They will provide you with details on the application procedure. In essence, the requirements are the existence of an approved hygiene concept, which can be used for your exam, and compliance with all safety and hygiene measures during the on-site exam.

  • The ventilation of the lecture halls and seminar rooms has been checked. If there are particularities to take note of regarding ventilation, this information is available on Stud.IP via the room search.


Can we take exams online?

It is curently not possible to take online-based, synchronous examinations via online tests on ILIAS (or similar systems). This means that a real-time, time-limited online test is no substitute for final examination for a module. Teachers can either opt for other forms of examination or follow the above-mentioned notes on examinations that require physical presence.


Is there a special free examination attempt regulation due to the pandemic situation?

The Senate decided on a comprehensive free attempt regulation for all examinations under supervision (such as written and oral exams) in its meeting on 15 July 2020. For these examinations under the responsibility of JLU, the following applies: Any failed attempt, i.e. a not passed attempt (nicht bestanden), after 12 March 2020 will be counted once as an open attempt and will not be counted towards the number of possible examination attempts. Federal or state regulations on state examinations remain unaffected by this regulation.

  • The free attempt regulation applies to all supervised examinations (written examinations, oral examinations, etc.) which fall under the responsibility of JLU, including resits (retake examinations) of the winter semester 2019/20, the summer semester 2020 and the winter semester 2020/21, which actually take place or have taken place after 12 March 2020.
  • The following applies to courses of study culminating in a state examination: The free examination attempt regulation does not apply to state examinations themselves, which are not encompassed by university regulations. To all module or other examinations or forms of assessment that are carried out at the university, however, the regulation applies. The only exception to this is the study of veterinary medicine, where the number of resits / retake examinations is limited to two in accordance with § 17, section 1 of the veterinary regulations for registration (Tierärtze-Approbationsverordnung). In all other courses of study culminating in a state examination, it is up to the university to define the number of examination attempts in the university part of the course of study by official regulations.
  • If a module component examination has been passed on its own, but the module examination as a whole has not yet been passed due to a compensation (regarding the grades) with the other module component examination - which was not passed before 12 March 2020 - a repetition of the examination attempt passed after 12 March 2020 is possible.
  • A repetition is possible if a compensatory examination was successfully passed, but the module component examination is not passed as a whole as a consequence of the unsuccessful first attempt (prior to 12 March 2020).
  • If the first attempt or the compensatory examination was not passed, but the module examination was passed in total by means of grade adjustment, a repetition is possible though not necessary.
  • Each examination provided for in the examination regulations (in a specific subject or module), there may be one further attempt if any first attempt was not passed.
  • The regulation applies to all examination attempts following 12 March 2020, i.e. it does also hold true for mere resits, even though the original examination took place before 12 March 2020.        
  • Students who are obliged to take at least one examination attempt per semester will not face any negative consequences in light of the fact that the free attempt is considered “not taken”.
  • The free examination attempt regulation also applies to take-home tests, in which tasks are cmpleted and digitally submitted within a short period of time (less than one day).


What if I cannot take part in an examination due to illness?

Students who cannot take part in an examination that lies within the responsibility of JLU due to illness must sign off in any case at the respective examinations office before the examination. It is considered a failed attempt if you do not appear at the examination date without having initially signed off. However, due to the corona pandemic, a doctor's certificate is not required until further notice.  


Will examinations within the responsibility of the state examinations office take place?

State examinations may in prinicple be carried out at JLU in compliance with hygiene and safety regulations. Please contact the state examination office responsible for your course of studies in order to find out whether on-site examinations at JLU are being held or whether alternatives are offered.

Further information can also be found on the homepges of the individual faculties.


Will the scientific pre-examinations in physics take place?
The Hessian state examinations office of healthcare (Hessisches Landesprüfungs- und Untersuchungsamt im Gesundheitswesen, HLPUG) decided to postpone the scientific pre-examination in physics. The new examination period will be announced as soon as possible. The state examinations office (Hessisches Landesprüfungs- und Untersuchungsamt im Gesundheitswesen, HLPUG) will inform all examinees accordingly. If students did not take part in a state examination for physical or psychological reasons in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, their non-participation will not be registered as "examination not taken".  Students have to hand in a written confirmation of withdrawal / a withdrawal request for the examination; a doctor's certificate is not required. 


Future teachers: First state teaching examination

The Hessian Teachers' Academy (Hessische Lehrkräfteakademie, HLA) is responsible for all examinations within the first state teaching examination. All regulations in this context are designed at the Hessian Teachers’ Academy. Please check their website for updates regularly.


Are the oral examinations within the first state teaching examination made up?

All the oral state examinations still to be taken as part of the first state teaching examination in Hesse were cancelled by the Hessian Teachers' Academy (Hessische Lehrkräfteakademie, HLA) on 9 April 2020. The previous academic achievements, i.e. all graded work, were extrapolated so that everyone could complete their degree. The Hessian Teachers' Academy (Hessische Lehrkräfteakademie, HLA) informs the candidates individually. The Hessian Ministry of Higher Education, Research and the Arts (HMWK) has developed this solution in coordination with the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs together with the Hessian Teachers' Academy. In doing so, the grades already achieved within First State Examination are extrapolated to the overall result. You can find the corresponding letter from the Hessian Teachers' Academy here.



Last updated 23 April 2020, 9 a.m.

Project funding

Detailed information on how to proceed with the project management funded projects can be found here.

Deliveries of goods / Orders

Detailed information on deliveries of goods and orders can be found at the FAQ section deliveries of goods / orders.

Goods: Placing orders and reveicing deliveries

Last updated 2 December 2020, 1 p.m.

Can orders still be placed?
Orders that are necessary may be placed in accordance with the regulations for procurement at JLU.


Can I place orders via JustOS?

The JustOS online shop is available to all employees within the JLU network. You can register with the access data that you used before the deactivation of JustOS. For technical reasons, JustOS is not accessible via VPN, which means that orders cannot be placed while working from home or mobile working.

Please make sure that your area is physically accessible to our suppliers and that a previous arrangement is made about the specific way of delivery. That way, additional costs for unnecessary and unwanted returns can be avoided (also refer to the question “How can I receive deliveries of goods?”)

If you have further questions, please get in touch with your colleagues at the departmental section Procurement and Materials Management (Beschaffung und Materialwirtschaft) or send an email to


Procurement of CO2 measuring devices and air purification systems

Due to the reduced number of persons in lecture halls and seminar rooms resulting from the protective measures (keep distance - observe hygiene rules - wear everyday masks - regular and sufficient airing of rooms), we assume that the risk of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is low. Against this background, JLU cannot procure any CO2 measuring devices or air purifiers from central budgets or from budgets of any institutions at JLU, such as professorships, institutes, centres.


Procurement of disinfectants, masks and disposable gloves 

The above-mentioned products can be ordered via the online shop JustOS. Please check whether the required material may be obtained from a JustOS supplier in advance (see below for information on individual products).

If any articles are required and offered by a supplier that are not listed in the JustOS catalogue, these articles can be ordered using the "Freitextbestellung" function. (If you need assistance with this, a colleague of the Procurement and Materials Management (Beschaffung und Materialwirtschaft) will be happy to assist you.)

For orders that cannot be placed via the JustOS online shop, please download and use the order form provided at the form page of Financial Department.

Whenever procuring disinfectants, masks or disposable gloves - regardless of the procurement channel - the general principles of budgetary law of economics and thrift (allgemeinen haushaltsrechtlichen Grundsätze der Wirtschaftlichkeit und Sparsamkeit) must be observed. In special cases, there is the possibility to obtain already procured quotas of these product groups. Therefore, prior to placing an order on your own responsibility, please contact the Procurement and Materials Management, e.g. by e-mail to A colleague will support you in finding a cost-effective procurement.

Notes on the individual products:

The general availability of the necessary materials is currently very inconsistent. Under certain circumstances, an article might be marked as available while ordering, yet restrictions may arise up to the point of delivery or the supplier may make changes to the product’s quantity. This is due to the general market situation in this sector which the university has no influence on. Consequently, the current situation sometimes requires quick reactions or alternative ways of placing orders.

However, the following requirements must always be met:

- Procurements have to be dependent on requirements

- Deliveries and services must be billed in the name of and for the JLU (no privately prepaid invoices/Vorlagenrechnung)

- Payments are only made after the delivery / service has been completed (no deposits/ preliminary payments, unless these are required by law or contract)


How can I receive deliveries?

Suppliers cannot be granted unrestricted access to JLU buildings. To guarantee a working supply chain, please fill in your telephone number (business or mobile number) on the respective order form so that arrangements can be made on how and where exactly the goods are delivered that day. Please make sure that a person authorised to receive the delivery is available in your work area during the agreed time of delivery.In case that you have not yet filled in your telephone number on the respective forms, please get in touch with your suppliers and let them know about how to contact you.

Please note that the service to send deliveries for work to your home address, which has recently been offered by suppliers, is generally not allowed. The delivery address remains the work address. Deliveries for employees who are working from home because they belong to the group at increased risk of a serious course of disease due to their age, previous illnesses or a suppressed immune system are excluded from this regulation. In these exceptional cases, orders of office supplies may be delivered to the respective home address.

If buildings are locked, signs should be put up indicating the telephone number of the respective janitors and/or the respective post office in order to make sure that the suppliers are provided with sufficient information on how to deliver the order.

Taking into account all hygiene and safety recommendations, a delivery as usual to the office or laboratory is possible. The delivering persons must then be picked up at the building-specific entrance or location and accompanied to the final delivery point; this also applies to the way back.


How do I proceed in case of necessary on-site installation or assembly work?

Please note that the delivery of furniture, large appliances and other equipment may require the assembly by external service providers in individual cases. In these cases, it is also necessary to clarify in good time - before the respective delivery - how access for the external persons can be granted. To ensure that your orders can be delivered and assembled, please state a telephone number (business or mobile number) on the order form provided so that you can agree with your deliverer on how to handle the delivery and assembly.

Delivery and assembly is possible under consideration of the hygiene rules for external service providers. The delivering persons must be picked up at the building-specific entrance or location and accompanied to the final delivery point; this also applies to the way back.

Hygiene concept

Last updated 17 June 2020, 9 a.m

The JLU hygiene concept including its measures can be found here. Separate hygiene concepts are required, for example, for rooms that are not declared as lecture halls or seminar rooms in Stud.IP or are not listed in Stud.IP, and/or for events that require special personal contact. The same event formats can be combined. There is also the possibility of creating a hygiene concept across faculties or departments. This template can be used to create such a hygiene concept. The basic protective measures already described in it can be adapted to individual requirements.

Hygiene rules for external service providers

Last updated 5 May 2020, 8:50 a.m.
Outside persons, such as tradesmen or external service providers, who show cold or flu symptoms are also forbidden from entering the JLU.

Before undertaking any work at JLU, outside persons must be informed about and asked to always comply with the prescribed precautions regarding personal hygiene, i.e. regular, correct hand washing and consistent observance of coughing and sneezing etiquette.
Contact with members of the university must be restricted as much as possible. Where contact is necessary, a sufficient distance between persons (at least 1.5 meters) must be observed.

All names of external service providers and the dates of their work at JLU must be recorded by the contractor and communicated to the responsible caretakers.
If companies undertaking work at JLU need break rooms or areas for their employees, they have to apply for these in advance. The contractor will assign the break rooms / areas. Hygiene rules for external service providers

JLU helps

Last updated 16 November 2020, 4:30 p.m.

How can I help during the corona crisis?

During the currently very precarious situation, the University Hospital Giessen (UKGM) is once again calling on students for their support in health care. UKGM is looking for students who have completed the training in nursing. If you are interested and/or have any questions, please e-mail or


JLU has set up a donation account to support students who are in financial need due to the Corona pandemic.


In addition to the initiatives of individual faculties (e.g. Veterinary Medicine, Department of Organic Chemistry, Faculty of Psychology and Sport Science),  JLU members and staff equipped with urgently needed materials and/or skills can obtain information on how to help at Here, the city of Giessen has set up an area with offers of help during the corona crisis.

Information by the 'Unfallkasse Hessen' on insurance cover for helpers during the corona crisis


JLU's Pandemic Plan

Last updated 22 March 2020, 2 p.m.

JLU implemented the pandemic plan on 20 March 2020. The pandemic plan defines the responsibilities, organisational measures and communication channels at JLU during a pandemic. In this context, the individual institutions must draw up their own operational pandemic plan. A template can be found here.

Please note: The pandemic plan provides a framework for general measures in the event of a pandemic - not only during the current corona pandemic. It does not regulate every detail. Due to the very dynamic development, further more concrete details and advice will be supplemented by circular emails.

Specific information on the current corona pandemic can be found under other keywords in the FAQs. These instructions must be followed.

If suitable pandemic materials are to be procured in the event of a pandemic, the superior authority will direct this order. The pandemic materials will be provided by the university management. In this case, the known contact persons from the respective areas will be informed immediately by email about the further procedure.


Last updated 11 January 2021, 5 p.m.

Can I use the university library as well as all other libraries?

The digital services and resources of the university library are fully available to JLU students and employees. JLU members can access licensed digital media via EZ-Proxy, i.e. with the g- or s-user ID and the net password (Netzpasswort).

The university library (UB) and the four departmental libraries have been lending again since 20th April 2020 (within restricted opening hours restrictions) - observing special security measures and precautions, of course. As of 2 June 2020, a small contingent of student workspaces have been made available in the university library and the departmental library for law and economics (ZRW) (see below). Access to the libraries is only permitted with a mouth and nose mask. The mask must be worn during the entire time of your stay at the library, even at the reading place / workspace. The subject-specific libraries remain closed to the public until further notice. Please send requests for specific literature to Books ordered from subject-specific libraries can be collected at UB (or, in the case of Romance studies, from the departmental library at Phil. II (ZPII).


I am enrolled but do not yet have a chip card; can I still borrow books?

You can apply for a temporary reading pass at the University Library (UB). The reading pass can also be used in the departmental libraries. Once you have received your chip card, your borrowing data will be transferred from your reading pass to your chip card so that you can use your chip card as a library card. Information on how to apply for a temporary reading pass can be found here.


I cannot yet borrow any books with my new chip card. What can I do?

The functions for borrowing should be available in the short term. In the meantime, you can apply for a temporary library card at the University Library (UB), which can also be used in the departmental libraries. Your borrowing data can be transferred to your chip card later. Information on how to apply for a library card can be found on the UB website.


Reading rooms: Booking system for workspaces

In order to be able to provide as many members of JLU as possible with a reading place, we will introduce a booking system for the workspaces in the University Library (UB) as well as in the Departmental Library for Law and Economics (ZRW) from 12 October 2020 onwards. There will be three periods from Monday to Sunday for which a place can be booked. The booking is made with the g- or s-user ID (s-Kennung or g-Kennung). To help the public health department to trace possible chains of infection if necessary, address and telephone number must also be provided when booking. A booking confirmation will be transmitted at the end of the booking process. The confirmation must presented as a document on the mobile phone or printed out and handed it (together with the JLU chip card or other identification document).

At the beginning of the lecture period during the winter semester 2020/21 on 2 November 2020, the Departmental Library at Phil. II (Zweigbibliothek im Phil. II, ZP II), the Departmental Library for Natural and Life Sciences (Zweigbibliothek Natur- und Lebenswissenschaften, ZNL) and the Departmental Library in the Zeughaus (Zweigbibliothek im Zeughaus, ZHB), which have so far only been open for lending, will make a small number of reading places available to JLU members in accordance with the current corona-related safety and hygiene measures. As in the University Library (UB) and Departmental Library for Law and Economics (ZRW), all reading places must be reserved in advance via the booking system. Seats can always be booked for the current week and the following week.


When are reminder fees due?

The library system will not issue any reminder fees as long as the movement restriction is in place. This applies from Monday 11 January 2021 to including Wednesday 3 February 2021, during which time reminder fees will not be issued and any existing charges will not increase.


Links to the booking system:

University Library (UB)

Departmental Library for Law and Economics (ZRW)

Departmental Library at Phil. II (ZP II)

Departmental Library for Natural and Life Sciences (ZNL)

Departmental Library in the Zeughaus (ZHB)


Please note that you must wear a mask (mouth and nose cover) when entering and leaving the library as well as on all routes and in all meeting areas of the libraries. The mask must also be worn while you are seated at your workspace. We kindly ask that the time spent inside the buildings be kept as short as possible and that the distance regulations outside the buildings be strictly observed.

Due to the still very limited number of seats due to the corona, booking is only possible for members and relatives of JLU until further notice. We kindly ask for your understanding.


Opening times:

  •  University Library (UB): Monday to Sunday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (issuing of PPA and library cards, recharging of interlibrary loan accounts etc.: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
  •  Departmental Library for Law and Economics (ZRW): Monday to Sunday, 9 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.
  •  Departmental Library at Philosophikum II (ZP II): Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  •  Departmental Library for Natural and Life Sciences (ZNL): Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  •  Departmental Library in the Zeughaus (ZHB): 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  •  Subject-specific libraries: closed
The libraries will only close during the holidays (24 December 2020 to 3 January 2021)


Can the computers in the university library be used again?

Some of the computers in the two computer rooms of the IT Service Centre (CIP cluster) on the 1st floor have been available gain since 29 June. The computers are available Mondays to Fridays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. as well as Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The remaining computers in the public area and in the computer reading room (Computerlesesaal, CLUB) on the ground floor are still not available.


Is the special reading room (Sonderlesesaal) open?

The special reading room (Sonderlesesaal) will remain closed until further notice. In urgent cases, however, individual appointments can be made to inspect the archive material of the university library. Please contact our information desk or our university archive for questions about archival records.

Can the lockers be used during the stay in the buildings?

For reasons of hygiene, the lockers cannot be used.


How many workspaces are available in the libraries?

The following reading and workspaces are available:

University Library (UB): 151 places; Departmental Library for Law and Economics (ZRW): 123 places; Departmental Library at Philosophikum II (ZP II): 11; Departmental Library for Natural and Life Sciences (ZNL): 6; Departmental Library in the Zeughaus (ZHB): 11. For the time being, workspaces in other locations cannot be made available due regulations regarding safety and hygiene measures.


Are the meeting rooms in the library available for use?
No, the use of the meeting rooms is not allowed until further notice.


Workspaces for online seminars

Since 16 November 2020, UB has made more workspaces available:


Study room at Karl-Glöckner-Str. 5a

We have temporarily set up a new study room in the former ProMarkt at Karl-Glöckner-Straße 5a. There are 54 workspaces available. Even though there are no books available in the new study room, there is WiFi as well as sufficient space and quiet for learning and writing.

Opening times:

Monday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Thursday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Friday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Single workspaces for online seminars

We have also set up single workspaces in various areas at UB especially for online seminars where students are expected to actively participate. On the one hand, four group work rooms on the 1st floor are available for individual use. Four group workrooms located on the first floor as well as the work boxes in the staircase (1st and 2nd floor) and in the new Learning Lab on the ground floor are available for online seminars. The spaces can be booked as single workspaces. The work boxes are soundproofed, but may only be used with your own headphones or headsets.

Please note: From Monday to Friday, the group work rooms and the work boxes are only available for participation in online seminars. On weekends they can also be used outside of online seminars between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.

All places must be reserved in advance via the booking system. Please observe the above mentioned rules for the booking system and release booked places that you do not use for others. A permanent mask obligation also applies to the learning room and the new single workspaces.

Further information can be found in the UB's FAQ list on the Corona crisis, which is also constantly updated.


Further information can also be found in the FAQ provided by the university library.

For questions and urgent problems please use the information hotline of the library system 0641 9914032 (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.) or contact the library by email via



Last updated 13 October 2020, 4 p.m.
All areas/facilities continue to receive mail at the usual locations via the internal distribution of mail has been adapted. However, mail is delivered to and collected from the areas and facilities at a reduced rate, but at least once per day

Delivery by Deutsche Post also continues to take place. Please note, however, that Deutsche Post can only deliver if an external postbox is available or if individual arrangements for delivery have been made with Deutsche Post. A delivery cannot be made if the building is locked and there is no other possibility of delivery.

Orders should only be placed if an acceptance of the orders can be guaranteed. Please also note here that at present it is not possible for parcel delivery staff to enter the buildings. If necessary, please make individual arrangements within the building or within your area to ensure acceptance

Password collection / Reset your password

Last updated 29 June 2020, 2 p.m.

How can I currently collect my password or how can I reset my password?

If you make an appointment by telephone (0641 99-13100), you can pick up your password letter in person at a specially created window (Ausgabefenster) at the IT Service Centre (HRZ), Heinrich-Buff-Ring 44. Please remember to bring you identification documents. The video-ident procedure is available for both collecting the password and for a password reset. To use the video-ident procedure, you must register via the web form in advance.

Personal safety precautions

Last updated 2 December 2020, 5.30 p.m.

Mandatory masks in JLU buildings

On all traffic routes (e.g. when moving through the corridors in a building), in all rooms open to the public as well as in all event rooms and during events, you generally have to wear a mouth-and-nose mask. This does not apply to rooms not open to the public, such as offices and laboratories, as soon as employees are seated at their workplace and other protective measures (distance regulations, partitions, etc.) have been taken. During courses, lecturers may take off the mouth-and-nose cover when speaking if appropriate protective measures (e.g. distance regulations, glass partition, etc.) are observed. The same applies to participants in committee meetings.

Wearing mouth-and-nose covers does not invalidate the distance rules. Please keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres from each other.

Further information on the mouth-and-nose protection can be found in the current corona contact and operating restrictions ordinance of the state of Hessen (hessische Corona-Kontakt- und Betriebsbeschränkungsverordnung) on the homepage of the Government of the Federal State of Hessen at “Für Bürgerinnen und Bürger: Aktuelle Lesefassungen der Verordnungen“.

Violating the regulations on wearing mouth-and-nose masks will be fined. This means that anyone who intentionally or negligently violates the above-mentioned regulations is acting in breach of the regulations within the meaning of the Infection Protection Act (Infektionsschutzgesetz). Persons violating the regulations can currently get fined up to 200 euros (see The fine is levied by the responsible public health department or by the local regulatory authorities (town, district).

How can I protect myself?

• Keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres from other people.

• Please continue to pay close attention to your personal hygiene, especially with regard to regular, correct hand washing and the consistent observance of any coughing and sneezing etiquette.
Generally avoid touching your mouth, eyes and nose with your hands.

Please air your room regularly as described in the information on how to air rooms.

• Please note that as of October 2, 2020, wearing masks (mouth and nose covers) is compulsory at universities by state ordinance.

We again refer to “The 10 most important hygiene tips” of the Federal Centre for Health Education (BZgA).
Dispensers for hand disinfection are located in the lavatories at all areas of JLU. Additionally, instructions on how to wash and disinfect hands will be put up in the coming days. Handrails and door handles are cleaned with suitable disinfectant.

Wearing disposable gloves

Disposable gloves must be disposed of immediately after each use or after completion of an activity in a way that is as contamination-proof as possible. Even when you wear disposable gloves, you should make sure to wash your hands again after taking them off or after disposal. To prevent an infection with the corona virus, make sure that your (eventually contaminated) fingers do not touch the mucous membranes of your mouth and nose or your face. Disposable gloves can give a false sense of security. Instructions for the correct removal of protective gloves can be found here.

Procurement of disinfectants, masks and disposable gloves

First aid must also be provided during the corona pandemic.
Information for first aiders can be found in our information sheet on first aid activities during the corona pandemic.


Last updated  15 December 2020, 4 p.m.

How should research be conducted during the summer semester 2020?

All necessary (research) work during the summer semester 2020 will be carried out even under the given conditions and by taking into account the necessary hygiene measures and safety recommendations. Many innovative solutions have been found and processes could be reorganised in this area as well.

Conferences of all sizes must be organised exclusively digitally for the coming year. This regulation applies to all conferences at JLU - regardless of whether JLU is the organiser or an external party. It also applies to conferences organised by JLU at other locations.

If you have further questions on research processes, please contact the vice-president for research and graduate studies

Working from home or mobile working is encouraged (see also “Employees”). In case you work from home, please make sure that you are available via telephone or digitally. Information on tools for synchronous communication and collaboration can be found here.


Dealing with test persons

Please note the information on specific protective measures when dealing with test persons:

How do I proceed with the project management of funded projects?

The donors and external funding sources of research projects are responding to the corona crisis by adapting their regulations on project implementation/funding management (submission deadlines etc.). In many cases, the project managers are also informed directly by the donors/external funding sources. You can find detailed information here.


Financial support for DFG-funded research extended the during the coronavirus pandemic

The Joint Committee of the German Research Foundation (DFG, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) has decided to extend financial support for DFG-funded research work in view of the ongoing adverse effects of the corona virus pandemic. Further information on the possibility of applying for corona emergency measures for research projects that have already been extended in a cost-neutral manner as well as on the cost-neutral extension following corona emergency measures can be found here.


Law on temporary employment in higher education changed - Maximum time within temporary employment extended by six months for doctoral students and postdocs

Further information can be found here.


Further information can be found here:

Federal government decides on amendments to BAföG and the law on temporary employment in higher education (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz, WissZeitVG): Press release of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung, BMBF) of 8 April 2020.

Statement by DFG President (German Research Foundation) Prof. Dr. Katja Becker, 8 April 2020.


Risk areas in Germany

Last updated 14 October 2020, 4 p.m.

Students and employees from inner-German risk areas according to the RKI survey may take part in on-campus events or may come to their workplace at JLU while observing the usual distance and hygiene regulations. This of course only applies if they do not show any symptoms of illness.

According to the current legal situation, there are no restrictions for persons from risk areas within Germany comparable to the quarantine regulations when entering the country from an international risk area (§ 1 der Hessischen Verordnung zur Bekämpfung des Corona-Virus).


Sports facilities

Last updated 29 October 2020, 7 p.m.

Can I / can we currently use the JLU sports facilities?

JLU sports facilities (indoor and outdoor) generally remain closed for the time being. In accordance with the distance and hygiene regulations, however, they may be used to conduct examinations as well as exam preparations if agreed upon with the Department of Sports Science of the Faculty of Psychology and Sports Science.

The indoor courses, which were originally planned by the Academic Sports Service (ahs) for the winter semester 2020/2021, will not take place until at least 31 December 2020. Due to the decisions of the federal and state governments to contain the corona pandemic, which were made on 28 October 2020, all ahs outdoor sports courses will also be cancelled until 30 November 2020. However, ahs has prepared digital sports classes, including the "JLU-Pausenexpress" in the winter semester 20201/21.


Studies and teaching

Last updated 11 January 2021, 5 p.m.

How do I get in touch with the student advisory service?

The central student advisory service (ZSB, is of course available for students. You can get in touch via telephone (during the regular office hours 0641 99-16223) and email ( After making an appointment and briefly explaining your issues, you can also get in touch through online chat or video counselling:


Are lecturers currently offering office hours?

Face-to-face office hours do not take place until further notice. Instead of on-campus office hours, there will be alternative forms of office hours; lecturers will be available via telephone. We kindly ask all lecturers to provide information on dates and on how to get in touch with them on the websites of the respective faculties, institutes and departments.


Student hotline Call Justus

“Call Justus” (CJ) is still available under 0641 99 16400 (from Monday to Friday from 8.30 a.m. to noon and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.)

Deadlines for students
Deadlines for term papers / Bachelor's or Master's dissertations / other written examinations
Deadlines for handing in written forms of examination (term papers, Bachelor’s or Master’s dissertations) that must be handed in after (i.e. later than) 16 March 2020 are extended for six weeks. This regulation applies to written forms of examination whose topic was decided or distributed before 20 April 2020. State examinations are not affected by this regulation since official federal and national regulations apply in this case.

Handing in your Bachelor’s or Master’s dissertation during the lockdown

Students can hand in their dissertations per post at the respective examinations office. The postmark counts as proof of deadline. With a proof of posting from the post office (registered mail), students have the opportunity to obtain secure proof of submission. Since copy shops and printers are closed during the lockdown, binding or special printing is of course not mandatory. If students do not have the option of printing, it is also possible to submit the paper electronically by e-mail to the relevant examinations office in good time, provided that the printed version is submitted 14 days later at the latest.

Digital teaching

All information on digital teaching during the summer semester 2020 is available at Didactic and technical information on respective learning arragements and systems can be found there, too.

The Competence Team Digital Teaching supports lecturers in preparing digital teaching formats. You can contact the Competence Team Digital Teaching by email at

Lecturers whose classes have not yet been digitised can get in touch with the IT Service centre at

Information on tools for synchronous communication and collaboration can be found here.

Recording and spreading digital courses

We would like to point out that the unauthorised recording and redistribution of digital courses (or parts thereof) is not permitted. All participants should be aware that this must be avoided at all costs, both for copyright reasons and to protect the personal rights of both lecturers and students.


Restriction of movement to 15-km radius

Am I affected by the movement restriction of the 15-km radius on my way to on-campus courses within my studies at JLU?

From 15 January 2021 onwards, the movement regulation is implemented for so-called hotspots, officially restricting one’s allowed travel radius to 15 kilometres around one’s place of residence. This regulation does not apply to students on their way to JLU due to taking part in on-campus / face-to-face examinations or courses that necessarily require physical attendance. Students can prove this by means of their student ID cards in the event of checks. The same applies to employees.


What do I do if I need a JLU member's signature for my application or other documents?

We recommend scanning and then emailing the relevant documents to the responsible JLU member. You will subsequently receive the signed documents by post.


Please refer to the detailed FAQ section examinations above.

External internships

External internships can be continued/started. The respective company or institution is responsible for the observance of hygiene measures and personal safety precautions. It must be ensured that the company or institution adheres to the specifications and recommendations of the RKI. If special protective equipment is required for the internships (e.g. protective clothing, mouth and nose protection, gloves), this must be provided by the company or institution.

Students who interrupt their external internships due to the corona pandemic should contact the dean for students of their respective faculty. A decision can then be made about whether the internship can be be allowed full credit or whether and in which form a compensatory work is required, or whether the internship can be continued at a later point in time. Students should not suffer any disadvantages from this regulation.

Finances / financing your studies

How can I finance my studies?

Information on BAföG (scholarship within German Federal Law on Training and Education Promotion), part-time jobs, scholarships, loans etc. is provided by the student services Giessen (Studentenwerk Gießen). Further information on financing your studies has been compiled by the student advisory service at JLU. If you receive BAFöG and are currently not able to provide the necessary academic achievements, this lack of proof does not have any effect on your BAFöG scholarship.

Financial support for students

The financial support for students has been made available again by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). Students who are deeply in need for help due to the corona pandemic can now apply for financial at the student services (Studenten- bzw. Studierendenwerk). The provided grant is non-repayable.

Further information on financial support

Online application:

International students

For special support (e.g. with regard to the right of residence), international students can get in touch with the International Office at JLU, where Dr. Saltanat Langohr and Patrycja Zakrzewska will answer your questions. Further information can be found at International Office and German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

Normal course length

For all students who are enrolled in the 2020 summer semester and who are not on leave of absence, the normal course length is increased by one semester. Further information on this can be found on the website of Hessian Ministry of Higher Education, Research and the Arts (HMWK). Possible implications for recipients of BAFöG (scholarship within German Federal Law on Training and Education Promotion) can be found in the FAQs of the student services Giessen ( Studentenwerk Gießen) at "Geld & Studienfinanzierung".


Winter semester 2020/21

Teaching during the winter semester 2020/21

The faculties have developed individual concepts for teaching under pandemic conditions. On this basis, students should be able to plan to what extent they will be physically present at the university in the winter semester. Please contact the respective departments for more information; links and contact addresses can be found at

Hybrid semester concept of the State of Hesse (September 2020): Studieren in Hessen ab dem Wintersemester 2020/2021 - Präsenzlehre mit Augenmaß


Providing contact details

In accordance with the current corona contact and operating restrictions ordinance of the state of Hessen, participants of face-to-face events must indicate their name, address and telephone number. This particularly applies to teaching, examinations and admission courses, as well as to the use of study, computer and work rooms, and workplaces in libraries which are available to students outside of courses for their studies. Collecting this data is exclusively done in order to be able to trace infections. These contact data will be deleted after one month.


Enabling freshers to get to know JLU is very important to us. The introductory weeks of the central Student Advisory Service (10 to 30 October 2020), which precede the start of lectures on 2 November 2020, were held exclusively in digital form this year. This also applies to the Market of Opportunities (Markt der Möglichkeiten) and the first semester welcoming event. Information about the digital introductory weeks and contact persons at JLU are available online at

All faculties have also prepared specific offers for their new students. Please refer to the websites of the individual faculties to find out more. Individual inquiries can be addressed to the respective deans of studies.


Thesis defences and habilitation procedures

Last updated 3 June 2020, 3 p.m.

Can thesis defences / doctoral examination processes and habilitation procedures take place?

Thesis defences may take place as a telephone, a video conference or as a mix between face-to-face and video conference (see also point 1.3 of the Richtlinien für Promotionsordnungen der JLU). Concerning the latter, the official regulations on the number of persons allowed to assemble as well as the hygienic measures must be observed. The members of the university community are to be excluded to the extent that the rules of procedure allow this exclusion; only there can the aforementioned procedures be chosen.


In which rooms can thesis defences / doctoral examination processes and habilitation procedures take place?

Thesis defences and habilitation procedures can take place in the following rooms:

1. University main building (Universitätshauptgebäude), seminar room 315

2. Zeughaus, seminar room S3, ground floor

3. Seltersberg, lecture hall C2, ground floor, Heinrich-Buff-Ring 19

4. Kugelberg 62, “Multifunktionsraum”  01

5. Rechts- und Wirtschaftswissenschaften, room 24 A and B, Licher Strasse 68

6. Philosophikum I, house F, room 005

7. Philosophikum II, house G, room 001

8. Seltersberg Medizin, lecture hall 1 in the medical teaching centre (Medizinisches Lehrzentrum, MLZ, Klinikstrasse 29


Reservations for rooms can be made via the central office for bookings and allocating rooms for events (zentrale Raumvergabe für Veranstaltungen) by telephone via 99-12600. Please indicate (at least one day in advance) when the examination is planned to take place as well as whether and when the planned breaks take place.


How do I proceed with the project management of funded projects?

The donors and external funding sources of research projects are responding to the corona crisis by adapting their regulations on project implementation/funding management (submission deadlines etc.). In many cases, the project managers are also informed directly by the donors/external funding sources. You can find detailed information here.



Last updated 14 January 2021, 5 p.m.

How can international students, doctoral students and researchers from third countries enter Germany?

International students, doctoral students and researchers are generally able to (re-)enter Germany. Depending on the country of origin and the country from which international stundents wish to enter, specific conditions and regulations may have to be observed and the formal affiliation with JLU may have to be confirmed by a certificate of study or a host agreement. The Federal Police publish the current regulations on their website.

Please note that the quarantine regulations of the State of Hessen apply regardless of the individual entry possibilities. These imply specific regulations regarding the necessary testing procedures for SARS-CoV-2, possible tests and the current obligatory quarantine. The regulations just mentioned are dependent, among other things, on the country or area from which the entry is planned, as well as the duration of stay in that country or area. Please find out more about the regulations currently valid for Hessen on the website of the Hessian Ministry for Social Affairs and Integration. Information on risk areas as well as testing procedures can be found on the website of the Robert Koch Institute. The entry must also be indicated by an online registration.

International students, doctoral students and researchers at JLU can contact the International Office if they have individual questions and / or if they need further help at (0641 99-12137).


How do I deal with business trips?

The following regulations are valid until 15 February 2020 on the basis of an instruction of the Hessen State Ministry for Higher Education, Research and the Arts (HMWK):

Both superiors and business travellers must responsibly check in each individual case whether the respective business trip is absolutely necessary. Alternatives such as video and telephone conferences must be prioritised and examined in advance.

If it is unavoidably necessary to carry out a business trip, a company car without passengers or a private car should be used if possible. We point out that mouth-and-nose covers must be worn in all public transport. For the travel expense report, it is assumed that there are good reasons for using a private car within the meaning of § 6 (1) of the Hessian Travel Expenses Act and that a travel allowance of EUR 0,35 is granted.

When applying for business trips, you must follow the usual application procedure. This means that you must submit the notification of travel (including the absolutely necessary reasons for the business trip) through the regular official channels to the respective dean of your department, the managing director of the respective centres or the head of the central institution, who are each responsible for deciding on business trips with a travel duration of up to seven days during the lecture period and up to fourteen days outside the lecture period.

All business travellers must refrain from business trips to classified international risk areas. Permission for such trips cannot be granted.

Employees of the State of Hessen are expected not to undertake trips to states outside the Federal Republic of Germany if the Federal Government has not only issued a travel warning but has classified the destination as a risk area, and the trip is not urgent. Employees returning to Germany from such a risk state must enter the quarantine/separation in accordance with Section 1 Sentence 1 of the Ordinance on the Control of the Coronavirus of 13 March 2020 in the currently valid version (nach § 1 Abs. 1 der Verordnung zur Bekämpfung des Corona-Virus vom 13. März 2020 in der jeweils gültigen Fassung,

The following additional regulations apply to persons returning from risk areas according to the RKI list:

1. Employees who have been in a foreign risk area for more than 72 hours or who have been unable to comply with protection and hygiene regulations are obliged to separate themselves in accordance with Section 1(1) of the Ordinance on the Control of the Coronavirus (§ 1 Abs. 1 der Verordnung zur Bekämpfung des Corona-Virus). On the 5th or 6th day after their entry, a test which meets the requirements of the RKI must be carried out. The costs will only be borne by the respective authority at JLUif the journey is due to official reasons. The authority must be informed of the quarantine or the test result without further notice ( (Department C – Human Resources) and (Division B3 - Safety and Environment). Access to the office is prohibited until a negative test result is available.

2. During isolation or quarantine or the ban on access in accordance with the above-mentioned corona ordinance, employees must carry out their work activities and tasks - if possible - from home. If mobile working from home is not possible, flexitime or overtime must be included.

For civil servants, however, such a trip may have consequences under employment law if, as a result, they are unable to fulfil their basic obligation to resume their work in full after the end of the approved period of absence. In the case of employees, consequences may arise under labour law. 

For persons who are proven to be infected with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and contact persons of category I with close contact ("higher" risk of infection) according to the RKI definition, the obligation to be present during the period of the isolation / quarantine (or the decision of the public health department, respectively) as ordered by the public health department is lifted. During this time, employees perform their work, if possible, from home using their mobile work computer.


How are cancellation costs settled?

If you have any questions regarding the settlement of travel expenses as well as any cancellation fees that may be incurred, please contact the Financial Department via email ( or call the person responsible in this regard. You will find further information on the website of the Financial Department.


Can I conduct or take part in an excursion?

Excursions in Germany can be approved in justified exceptional cases by the respective dean's office via the usual application procedure. In order to be approved, an excursion must constitute a mandatory part of the coursework for which no digital alternative is possible. When an excursion is undertaken, all relevant safety precautions and hygiene measures must of course be observed on arrival and departure as well as on site.


Can I take part in other stays abroad?

To stays abroad, the same applies as to business trips.

We strongly advise students to suspend their plans of spending time abroad in Corona risk areas. Students can contact the International Office if they have any questions regarding stays abroad: Laura Lizarazo, phone 0641 99-12136.