If you come to Giessen on an exchange programme, you will be accommodated in one of the university's dormitories. In this case, getting a dorm room only requires filling in an additional form when you apply for studying in Giessen. This guaranteed accommodation is also available to you if you are on a scholarship provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and you are matriculated as a student.
If you have organized your stay in Giessen independently, however, you will also need to arrange your own accommodation. Nonetheless, both the university's International Office as well as its Student Affairs Office will provide you with advice and support. For example, if you have failed to find a room by the start of the winter semester, you can use the so-called emergency room service (operated by the Student Affairs Office) as a last resort. More likely, though, you will have already found a suitable room through one of their various room services (e.g., "Netzwerk Wohnen" or "Wohnen für Hilfe").
If you hold a research scholarship, the Student Affairs Office will provide accommodation (subject to availability) at the request of the Giessen university professor or department you will work for. Finally, visiting professors will be accommodated at one of the university's guest houses at the request of their host departments.
One special feature of the Giessen dormitories is the so-called "Wohnheim-Tutoren-Programm" (WoTuPro), which is organized by the Student Affairs Office. This involves assigning one or more students to each dormitory so as to facilitate dorm life as well as guide and advise their fellow students. Among other things, WoTuPro organizes various activities and events which make it easy to meet other students and feel at home (e.g., pot luck dinners, sightseeing trips and outings, parties and much more). In addition, the student advisors are able to answer general questions on, say, how to get residence or work permits or how to deal with the authorities if there are problems. The links below will help you find a place to stay in Giessen.
- The Student Affairs Office provides an overview of the dormitories available in Giessen and a FAQ list on how to get a room there.
- Search for rooms and flats for rent on wg-gesucht.de.
- On Fridays, get the latest information on what is available for rent in Giessen from Giessener Anzeiger.
- On Thursdays, check out the extensive classified ads section in Giessener Express.
- Locate flats for rent as well as people who offer ride-sharing or swapping university places on studenten-wg.de.
- Find further rooms and flats for rent in Giessen on studentenwohnung.de, a sizeable online marketplace for student accommodation.