- Englischer Studiengang
This course of study is taught in English.
The aim of the study programme Anglophone Studies is to impart advanced linguistic, literary and cultural knowledge and specific didactic knowledge and skills as well as comprehensive skills in the field of academic methodology in the subjects studied. The intention is to equip students with the skills needed for the independent acquisition, implementation and critical appraisal of linguistic, literary, cultural and specialist didactic models and theories. Students are to be equipped to conduct independent and creative analyses of complex issues and to plan, carry out and assess their own academic projects.
Duration of Studies4 Semesters - 120 Credit Points (CP)
Accreditationsince 18 May 2010
Composition of the Study Programme
Duration of studies4 semesters – 120 credit points (cp)
- Studienaufbau: 1
Composition of the Masters's course
The master's programme is composed of one major and one minor subject. You will study your major and minor subject simultaneously. The thesis is to be written in the major at the end of the study program.
Anglophone Studies is designed to be completed within two years (four semesters). All courses are taught in English.
You choose your major and minor subjects from the following list. Please note that "Teaching English as a Foreign Language" is not available as a minor subject.:
Subject Major / Minor Anglophone Literary, Cultural and Media Studies (ALCMS) Major / Minor English Linguistics (ELI) Major / Minor Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Major only
- Studienaufbau: 2
Your curriculum depends on the chosen subjects (major and minor). You can find further information in the "Programme Structure", which is part of the study regulations:
A description of the modules can be found in the Special Regulations:
Courses Offered in the Course Catalogue
- Disclaimer Studienaufbau
Irrtümer und Änderungen vorbehalten.
- Start SS/WS
Commencement of studies
Winter semester (October) and summer semester (April)
- Bewerbung: Zulassungsvoraussetzungen
„Admission requirements“: From winter semester (October) 2020/21 on, there will be new admission requirements. Further information coming soon here!
The entry prerequisite for a Master's degree course is a Bachelor's degree with a relevant subject profile. The Faculty Board of Examiners decides on whether or not the prior course of studies matches the required profile. More...
Advancedknowledge of English is required for all subjects. Evidence of English skills must be provided before registration by one of the following means:
1. Skills acquired at school
- Evidence of having acquired entitlement to admission to a higher education institution in one of the following states: Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, USA, United Kingdom, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Ghana, Hong Kong, Malta;
- Evidence of having acquired entitlement to admission to a higher education institution in an English educational study programme in a state in which English is the/an official language.
2. Skills acquired at a university
- A pass in an English examination at a university at Level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages that is no more than two years old;
- Successful completion of a Bachelor's study programme with an anglophone focus, which leads to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
3. Skills acquired in language tests
Any certificate of a passed standardised language test, which proves language skills equivalent to Level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages is accredited. This includes, for example:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with the following minimum results:
- in the Institutional Testing Programme (ITP), at least 637 out of 677 points;
in the internet version, at least 110 out of 120 points.
- A pass in the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- A pass in the Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum overall grade of 7 and a minimum grade of 6.5 in each test area
- UNIcert® III
Please bear in mind, that you are supposed to present your language certificate during registration. The language requirements of which evidence is to be provided for admission to the Master's study programme Anglophone Studies must be presented at registration. It is not possible to make up the language requirements within the first two semesters (registration subject to reservations).
- Beginn nur im WiSe / keine Zulassungsbeschränkung - engl
Application for admission and registration
- The intake capacity of this degree programme is not limited internally by the university.
- Applications must be received by the JLU Student Secretariat by 15th January for the summer semester and 15th July for the winter semester. More on this...
- Special regulations apply to foreign applicants or those who gained their university-entrance qualifications abroad.
The Master's programme qualifies you for jobs in a variety of professional fields such as education and language schools, journalism and media, cultural management, public relations, advertising, tourism, in international business enterprises and international organisations. As in all humanities, relevant internships are recommended.
- Promotion engl.
It is possible to do a doctorate after completing the course of study.
- Giessener Graduiertenzentrum Kulturwissenschaften, engl.
- Internationales: incomings
Information about studying at Justus Liebig University Giessen (incomings)
General counseling of international students
- Weitere Infos: Dokumente
- Master's Degree Programmes of Faculty 05
- Any more questions?
Any more questions?
Information and consulting services of the JLU can be found in the category "Contact" on this page!
Subject AdvisorThe subject advisors for the individual subjects in the Master's programme "History and Culture" can be found here (website is in German):
- Geschichts- und Kulturwissenschaften
Die Studienfachberater/innen für die einzelnen Fächern in dem Master-Studiengang "Geschichts- und Kulturwissenschaften" finden Sie hier:
Student Advisory Office
- Central Student Services