- Englischer Studiengang
This course of study is taught in English.
The aim of the study programme Anglophone Studies is to impart advanced linguistic, literary and cultural knowledge and specific didactic knowledge and skills as well as comprehensive skills in the field of academic methodology in the subjects studied. The intention is to equip students with the skills needed for the independent acquisition, implementation and critical appraisal of linguistic, literary, cultural and specialist didactic models and theories. Students are to be equipped to conduct independent and creative analyses of complex issues and to plan, carry out and assess their own academic projects.
Duration of Studies4 Semesters - 120 Credit Points (CP)
Accreditationsince 18 May 2010
Composition of the Study Programme
Duration of studies4 semesters – 120 credit points (cp)
- Studienaufbau: 1
Composition of the Masters's course
The master's programme is composed of one major and one minor subject. You will study your major and minor subject simultaneously. The thesis is to be written in the major at the end of the study program.
Anglophone Studies is designed to be completed within two years (four semesters). All courses are taught in English.
You choose your major and minor subjects from the following list. Please note that "Teaching English as a Foreign Language" is not available as a minor subject.:
Subject Major / Minor Anglophone Literary, Cultural and Media Studies (ALCMS) Major / Minor English Linguistics (ELI) Major / Minor Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Major only
- Studienaufbau: 2
Your curriculum depends on the chosen subjects (major and minor). You can find further information in the "Programme Structure", which is part of the study regulations:
A description of the modules can be found in the Special Regulations:
Courses Offered in the Course Catalogue
- Disclaimer Studienaufbau
Irrtümer und Änderungen vorbehalten.
- Start SS/WS
Commencement of studies
Winter semester (October) and summer semester (April)
Depending on where you obtained either your university entrance certificate or your Bachelor degree, we differentiate two application procedures:
You need to use JLU’s application portal if
- you hold a completed Bachelor’s degree obtained at a German university (the country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance).
- your JLU Bachelor programme is not yet complete. Please provide a preliminary report. The country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance.
- you obtained your university entrance certificate in Germany and attended a Bachelor programme at a German university other than JLU. Please provide a preliminary report if your programme is not yet completed.
- you want to change to another degree programme at JLU. The country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance.
- you hold a completed Bachelor’s degree obtained at a foreign university (the country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance).
- you obtained your university entrance certificate abroad and attended a Bachelor programme at a German university other than JLU. Please provide a preliminary report if your programme is not yet completed.
- Application: deadline, intake capacity, fees
Intake capacity ("Numerus Clausus")
The intake capacity of this degree programme is not limited internally by the university.
- Application for enrolment period summer semester:
- starts december
- ends end of March.
- Application for enrolment period winter semester:
- starts June
- ends end of end of July.
No study fees are charged for this study program. However, students have to pay a semester contribution of approx. 300 EUR for administration and semester tickets (details).
- Bewerbung: Zulassungsvoraussetzungen
The entry prerequisite for a Master's degree course is a Bachelor's degree with a relevant subject profile. M.A. Anglophone Studies is a consecutive M.A. programme requiring subject knowledge from the related B.A. course of studies. The Faculty Board of Examiners decides on whether or not the prior course of studies matches the required profile.
Advanced knowledge of English is required for all subjects. Evidence of English skills on Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages must be provided before registration by one of the following means:
- Any certificate of a passed standardised language test, which proves language skills equivalent to Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages is accredited
- A pass in an English examination at a university at Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages that is no more than two years old.
- Another appropriate evidence of English skills at Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Successful completion of the Bachelor's study programme Anglophone Studies at JLU Gießen.
Please bear in mind that you are supposed to present your language certificate during registration. The language requirements of which evidence is to be provided for admission to the Master's study programme Anglophone Studies must be presented at registration. It is not possible to make up the language requirements within the first two semesters (registration subject to reservations).
- Further information-admission international
For further information please contact:Registrar’s Office / Studierendensekretariat
Postal address: Postfach 11 14 40, 35359 Giessen
The Master's programme qualifies you for jobs in a variety of professional fields such as education and language schools, journalism and media, cultural management, public relations, advertising, tourism, in international business enterprises and international organisations. As in all humanities, relevant internships are recommended.
- Promotion engl.
It is possible to do a doctorate after completing the course of study.
- Giessener Graduiertenzentrum Kulturwissenschaften, engl.
- Internationales: incomings
Information about studying at Justus Liebig University Giessen (incomings)
General counseling of international students
- Weitere Infos: Dokumente
PDF documents for the courses of study
Examination- and study regulations
- (in German) Please note that only the German version of the modules is offical and legally binding. The english Version is for informative purposes only.)
Courses offered in the course catalogue
- (in German)
- Master's Degree Programmes of Faculty 05
- Any more questions?
Any more questions?
Information and consulting services of the JLU can be found in the category "Contact" on this page!
- Anglophone Studies
Dr. Martin Spies
Otto-Behaghel-Str. 10 B, Raum B 328
Tel: +49 (0) 641 99 300 98
Fax: +49 (0) 641 - 99 300 88
Student Advisory Office
- Central Student Services