Finding Your Way To and Around Giessen - Accommodation, Trips, Activities and more
- Finding Your Way To and Around Giessen - Accommodation, Excursions, Activities and more
Studying in Giessen is not everything, of course – you need a home away from home to relax in, and there is the city and its environs to explore and get to know.
Giessen, with around 84,000 inhabitants, is Germany's most student-dominated city, whose two universities with their 'extra population' of 40,000 students provide a unique college-town atmosphere. The downtown area offers plenty of diversion for students, including movie theaters (with student concession tickets), the municipal theater with its experimental studios, swimming pools and sports and workout facilities, and a wide variety of pubs, restaurants (continental and ethnic), and nightlife venues. So there is lots of flavour you can add to your studies. The great thing about Giessen is that it's an easy place to get around in and, when the mood takes you, to escape from into the picturesque surrounding countryside or to the metropolis of Frankfurt am Main about 60 kilometers away.
To help you get a first taste of the city and a first impression of what it has to offer, we have put together some basic information for you. In you will find a starter-kit to help you round the city and the region. Under there is helpful information about college facilities. A guide to ways of organizing your leisure time is provided on the websites and .
The high density of students in Giessen means that finding a place to live is not always easy. But don't worry – JLU has services designed to help and advise you here as well. You will find important information on finding and renting accommodation under
- Giessen and Environs
- Giessen lies in the heart of Hesse and is surrounded by the romantic Lahn valley and rolling tree-topped hills while offering a broad range of cultural programs at the same time.
- Where to Live in Giessen
- As a student in Giessen, you can choose between private accommodation or life in a student hall of residence. JLU's residence services offer you active support in finding a place to stay.
- On-Campus Assistance for Students
- Here you can find a summary list of the more important institutions on campus at JLU where you can seek assistance and advice during your studies here.
- Learn more about Germany by exploring its cities, towns, and landscapes!
- Lokal International - International Meeting Centre and Cafeteria
- The "Lokal International" is the meeting place for German and international students in Giessen with a cafeteria and regular events.