Document Actions

Where to Live in Giessen

As a student in Giessen, you can choose between private accommodation or life in a student hall of residence. JLU's residence services offer you active support in finding a place to stay.

Part 1

Living in a student hall of residence:

If you are an exchange student in an official mobility programme (Erasmus+, ISEP, university cooperation programs, and other types of exchange), a room in one of JLU's halls of residence will be reserved for you, so long as your online application and the application for a place in a hall of residence reach us by 15 January or 15 July for the following Summer and Winter Semester respectively. You can apply for a room in one of our halls of residence by following a link you will get from us after your online registration and once you have been nominated by your home institution. Please do not use the regular forms for German students issued by Student Services if you are an exchange student! 

Rent (student dormitory, including utilities, internet access, and linen):

Part 2

Rental period Rental price
Security deposit
under two months

One week - 7 days = €275.90

Two weeks - 14 days = €371.00

Three weeks - 21 days = €468.00

Four weeks - 28 days = €564.00


* For the fifth to seventh week, an additional € 141.00 per week is charged. From the eighth week onwards the rental price is  €431.00 per month.

one-time payment of  €250
two to twelve months €431 per month


Part 3

Student halls of residence for non-exchange students:

If you wish to rent a room in a hall of residence, but are NOT coming to Giessen on an exchange program, you must submit your application directly to Student Affairs (the Studentenwerk), which has at its disposal accommodation for about 3,500 students in 18 halls of residence and apartment buildings spread throughout Giessen, Fulda, and Friedberg.

When applying for a place in a hall of residence, you must submit the following documents to Student Affairs:

  • a Halls Application (Wohnheimantrag; available on the Student Affairs website)
  • proof of student status at JLU or your Confirmation of Admission

Please keep in mind, when planning your arrival in Giessen, that non-program students can only move in to the halls of residence on weekdays (Monday to Friday). Hall keys are handed out by the Housing division of Student Affairs.

Part 2

Private rooms to let / Flat exchange

Below you can find a list of private rooms to let (often from outgoing students for incoming students). Please note that we cannot verify offers. We are neither responsible for the availability of the rooms nor the consequences of renting a room. Please contact the landlord directly for details.

- Intermediate rent: Furnished flatshare room 20qm / 01.01.2024 – 30.05.2024


Part 4

Further options for finding private apartments and rooms are the local papers:

The classifieds appear in the friday edition of the Giessen dailies ("Allgemeine" and "Anzeiger") and every thursday on "Giessener Express". In almost all of the main hallways, cafeterias, and restaurants of the University, you will find informal postings on the walls advertising rooms, apartments, and shared apartments to rent.

Further information on accommodation that may prove of value to you can be found at

The online-game "Student Town" of the DAAD allows you to familiarize yourself with the search for accommodation in a flat shared by students. 

Download the student guide Finding Accommodation

Living in a student dorm - an illustrated dictionary in German/English/Chinese, German/French/Spanish, German/French/Arabic, German/Polish/Russian