Document Actions

Residence Permit

All foreign students require a German residence permit.

Before applying for a residence permit, you must register at the Giessen Town Hall. During the Orientation Week and "Info-Table", international students in Giessen receive assistance in this process from the mentors of the International Student Advisory Office.

  • Students from an EU country additionally only have to fill in a form (notification of residency) at the International Registration Authority (Ausländerbehörde) 
  • All students from non-EU-countries additionally have to apply for a residence permit (eAT) 

Both student groups have to do this immediately after arrival in Giessen if you are resident here. This is done at the International Registration Authority:

Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Giessen
Berliner Platz 1, Ground Floor
Opening times:
Mondays and Wednesdays 8:00–12:00
Thursdays 14:00–17:00

A different International Registration Authority may be responsible for you if you are living outside Giessen.

  • As of 1 September 2011, non-EU-citizens receive their residence permit (eAT) in form of a chip card which includes biometric data. The chip card costs around 100 Euros. Students in JLU exchange programmes do not have to pay this fee.

You have to submit the following documents within the validity of your visa:

EU- Citizens (for notification of residence)Non-EU-Citizens (for residence permit/ eAT)
biometric passport photo x x
confirmation of registration of residence at the Stadtbüro x x
proof of student status x x

rent contract

- x
passport x x
proof of sufficient funds - x
  • before your residence permit runs out, you must ensure that you apply for an extension in good time.