Document Actions

Residence Permit

All foreign students require a German residence permit.

Before applying for a residence permit, you must register at the Giessen Town Hall.

  • Students from an EU country only have to fill in a form (notification of residency) at the Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) 
  • All students from non-EU-countries additionally have to apply for a residence permit (eAT) 

Residence permit and residence notification must be applied for immediately after entry at the Immigration Office of the respective place of residence. In the City of Giessen, the responsible authority is the Immigration Office of the City of Giessen.

Non-EU citizens receive their residence permit in the form of a chip card on which biometric data is stored. The chip card costs about 100 euros. Within the validity of the visa, the following documents must be presented to apply for the residence permit:

  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Visa, if required
  • Proof of livelihood (e.g. scholarship certificate, declaration of commitment, blocked account at a bank, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Notice of admission/study certificate
  • If applicable, proof of the required language skills
  • If you are taking part in preparatory measures for studying: Proof of admission to the Studienkolleg or to a language course preparing for studies

Before your residence permit runs out, you must ensure that you apply for an extension in good time.