Document Actions

Foreign Language Proficiency

If you are an international student wishing to take a degree at JLU, you will have to show that you have acquired sufficient language proficiency to allow you to embark successfully on a course of study here.

  • The information provided in the following pages is intended for prospective students interested in applying for a degree course taught in German at JLU Giessen:
    -> German language requirements (e.g. DSH) for admission to and enrolment at JLU.
  • If you want to apply for a degree course in English you have to show that you have sufficient knowledge of English. Some degree courses also require sufficient language proficiency in other foreign languages. Please refer to the pages of the respective degree course for English language prerequisites.
  • If you will be spending one or two semesters at JLU Giessen on an exchange program (such as Erasmus, ISEP, or an institutional partnership agreement) or if you are a freemover or doctoral student, you are not required to demonstrate proficiency in German. We recommend, however, that you participate in one of our German language courses.