Applied Theatre Studies (BA)
Number of enrolled students111 students are enrolled in this bachelor degree course (as of winter semester 2017/18).
Accreditationsince 21 August 2007.
The course of studies consists of obligatory and optional theatre science modules as well as of modules from the participating departments:
- German Studies,
- English Language,
- Romance Languages,
- Slavonic Languages,
- Ancient Studies,
- History of Art,
Characteristic of the Theatre Science modules is the way in which practice and theory of the theatre are made to dovetail and at the same time there is a theoretical and a practical analysis of theatrical form, content and issues.
Theatre Science module
In the Theatre Science modules it is intended that the courses of study will deal (in form of theoretical and practical seminars as well as scenic realization projects of historical and contemporary theatre forms) with theory, aesthetics and semiotics of theatre process, as well as with the relationship of the theatre to other art forms.
In the scenic projects of the guest professors (directors, choreographers, performance artists, authors, etc.) students are to become familiarized with a variety of artistic and creative modes of working and thus learn the perspectives on theater and the more closely connected arts and skills and formulate their own artistic approaches. In practical courses the students will also be introduced to a variety of theatre professions, artistic skills and tools (e.g. stage technology, video editing, sound studio, physical and vocal training, scenery).
Due to the broad scope of the subject - encompassing the perfomative arts from the end of the Nineteenth Century until today as well as historical connections to the preceding centuries, i.e., the ancient world, the Renaissance or the Baroque - the teaching will be based on examplary learning. Academic research and artistic methods rely heavily on examplary learning and require a large amount of individual competence.
Composition of the Study Programme
- Degree BA
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Duration of studies 6 Semester 180 Credit Points (CP)
Duration of Studies
6 Semesters - 180 Credit Points (CP)
- Composition of the Study Programme
Composition of degree programme
- In the form of theoretical seminars, practical classes and scenic projects, the Applied Theatre Science classes deal with historical and contemporary forms of theatre, theory, aesthetics and semiotics of theatrical processes;
- In practical courses students are introduced to various theatre-related professions and artistic techniques and skills;
- An integral part of the BA course is an internship at an established cultural institution;
- As well as the possibility to recognise individual achievements (e.g. the organisation of a festival) as part of a module.
Applied Theatre Science can only be studied as a separate course of study. It cannot be combined with other subjects.
During the course of study, certain modules have to be chosen:
- Eight mandatory Theatre Science Modules
- Three out of four mandatory Theatre Science Modules (one module can be chosen twice)
- Five Modules from the associated subjects
- One module from extra-curricular activities
- Thesis module
- Commencement of Studies in the Winter Semester
Commencement of studies
Only possible in the winter semester
- Entrance Requirements Abitur ohne Praktikumsnachweis
- Applicants must have an Abitur (German school leaver's examination for university entrance) or equivalent. More on this...
- Certification of a pre-professional practical period is not required.
Special regulations apply to foreign applicants or those who gained their university-entrance qualifications abroad. Read more...
- Language requirements
Please note that you might have to give proof that you fulfil certain language skills already upon matriculation.
- Application not limited only winter
Application for admission and registration
- The intake capacity of this degree programme is not limited internally by the university.
- Applications must be received by the JLU Student Secretariat by 15th July. For the year 2020 the deadline has been extended to September 15! More on this...
- Special regulations apply to foreign applicants or those who gained their university-entrance qualifications abroad.
- Application period
Please note that the application period for the Bachelor's course can be extended. This information will be published here (in German).
- Career Options
Options for further study at JLU Gießen
Graduates of this course of study are theoretically as well as practically qualified. They have basic competences for dramaturgic, conceptual and editorial tasks whereby practical relevance as well as theoretical reflectivity play a role. The intended professional areas after the Bachelor`s degree comprise the basic area of the entire cultural life, e.g. in terms of activities as
- assistant director,
- dramaturgy assistant.
- Further Information: Documents
PDF documents for the courses of study
- (in German)
- Study guide (in German)
Examination- and study regulations
- Special regulations
(with module descriptions and module plans)
Please note that only the German version of the modules is offical and legally binding. The english Version is for informative purposes only.)
- General study regulations for modular and multi-stage study programmes
Courses offered in the course catalogue
- Electronical course catalogue (in German)
- Bachelor's Degree Programmes of Faculty 05
- Modern Languages and Language Teaching
- Language, Literature, Culture
possible major subjects:
- English Language, Literatures & Cultures
- French Language, Cultures and Literatures
- German Studies / Literature
- Germani Studies / Linguistics
- Spanisch Language, Cultures and Literatures
- Russian Language, Cultures and Literatures
- Polisth Language, Cultures and Literatures
- Czech Language, Cultures and Liteatures
- International pages
Please have a look at our International Pages for more information in English.
- Any Questions
Information- and advisory services of JLU can be found under the category “contact” on this page!
Do you need assistance in choosing the right courses of study?
- Subject Advisors
- Subject Advisors Applied Theatre Science
Institut für Angewandte Theaterwissenschaft
Philosophikum II, Building A
Dr. Eva Holling and Bernhard Siebert
Office hours: by appointment
Contact secretary's office
Sylvie Guilllou and Julie Pownall
- Central Study Advisor
- Central Student Services