Agricultural and Resource Economics (MSc)
The course of study serves to support and evaluate the agricultural-political and sociopolitical decisions of various institutions. Among these tasks belong the decision-making processes of nutritional-economic businesses, the study of agricultural markets, the evaluation of agricultural and environmental-political measures, the development of agricultural-technical processes, the advisory and communication system and the cooperative system.
Teaching and research will take place in the areas of:
- Agricultural policy
- Market research
- Business theory in the Agro-Food Industry
- Duration of studies 4 Semester 120 Credit Points (CP)
Duration of Studies
4 Semesters - 120 Credit Points (CP)
Accreditationsince 28 September 2007.
Composition of the Study Programme
- Composition of the Study Programme
Duration of studies
4 semesters - 120 credit points (cp)
Composition of degree programme
The course of studies is composed of 20 modules:
- 8 core modules (mandatory) with in each case 6 credit points,
- 8 specialisation modules (non-mandatory) with in each case 6 credit points,
- a written Master's thesis (equivalent to 4 modules = 24 credit points).
Half the taught modules are mandatory (core modules) the other half of the modules can be selected from all the courses offered by the department or partially by other departments in the JLU (specialisation modules).
Specialisation is possible through the selection of the profile modules. The course of study has been successfully completed when all modules have been successfully passed.
Modules Credit Points
Applied Econometrics 6 Risk Management and Decision Support Mode 6Organizational Economics in the Agro - Food Industry 6 International Agricultural and Food Policy 6 Specialisation module 6Managerial Economics in the Agro - Food Industry 6 Economic Development and World Agricultural Markets 6Resource Economics, Competiveness and Agri - environmental Policy 6Land-use Modelling 6 Specialisation module 6 Specialisation module 6 Specialisation module 6 Specialisation module 6 Specialisation module 6 Specialisation module 6 Specialisation module 6 Master's thesis 24
A description of the core- and specialisation modules can be found in the special regulations with module descriptions and module plans (in German)
Courses offered in the course catalogue
- (in German)
- Commencement of Studies in the Winter and Summer Semester
Commencement of studies
Summer semester and winter semester
- Application: Entrance requirements
The entry prerequisite for a Master’s degree course is a Bachelor’s degree with a relevant subject profile.
Relevant Bachelor degree courses of a German university are:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Economy
- Organic Farming
In the context of the application and admission process the Examination Board may recognise other final degrees as equivalent on a case-to-case basis.
- Application not limited
Application for admission and registration
- The intake capacity of this degree programme is not limited internally by the university.
- Applications must be received by the JLU Student Secretariat by 15th January for the summer semester and 15th July for the winter semester. More on this...
- Special regulations apply to foreign applicants or those who gained their university-entrance qualifications abroad.
Information about studying at Justus Liebig University Giessen (incomings)
- International Office
General counseling of international students
Dr. Saltanat Rakhimzhanova, Patrycja Zakrzewska
, Room 38
- International Office
- International pages
Please have a look at our International Pages for more information in English.
- Further Information: Documents
- Master's Degree Programmes of Faculty 09
- Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (in cooperation with faculties 07, 08, 10, 11)
- Food Economics
- Beverage Technology (in cooperation with Geisenheim University)
Oenology (in cooperation with Geisenheim University)
Wine Economics (in cooperation with Geisenheim University)
- Any Questions
Information- and advisory services of JLU can be found under the category “contact” on this page!
- Subject Advisor
- Prof. Dr. Rainer Kühl
Prof. Dr. Joachim Aurbacher
Agribusiness Management and Food Economics
Senckenbergstrasse 3 (Zeughaus)
Tel.: +49 (0) 641 - 99 37270
- Central Study Advisor
- Central Student Services