Document Actions

Residence Permit

Certificate of Registration

In Germany it is required that you inform the local authorities within one week of moving to a new address. This means that, once you have moved into your new accommodations and signed the rental agreement, you will have to register at the Stadtbüro Gießen (Giessen city office).
You will require the following documentation when registering:

  • Passport
  • Rental agreement

You will require a certificate of registration from the city office in order to apply for a residence permit.


Residence permit

Citizens from an EU country do not require a residence permit. Students from a non-EU country, however, are required to apply for a student residence permit in order to be allowed to stay in Germany.
You will require the following documentation in order to apply for a residence permit:

  • Completed application form from the aliens registration authority
  • Passport 
  • Biometric passport photo 
  • Certificate of registration by the city office 
  • Health insurance certificate 
  • Certificate of enrolment at the University 
  • Proof that sufficient funds are available to finance your studies in Germany

The Giessen city office and the aliens registration authority are located in the same building.

Stadtbüro und Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Gießen
Berliner Platz 1
35390 Gießen

Opening hours, city office:
Monday-Thursday: 8.00 am - 6.00 pm
Friday: 8.00 - 12.00 am
Saturday: 10.00 am - 1.00 pm

Opening hours, foreigners' registration authority:
Monday and Wednesday: 8.00 - 12.00 am
Thursday: 2.00 - 5.00 pm

If you require assistance in your dealings with the local authorities, please do not hesitate to ask your tutors for help.