GGS-Teaching Assistantship Programme 2021
The GGS Teaching Assistantship Programme offers international (post)doctoral candidates the chance to gather teaching experience and develop their skills.
What is the GGS Teaching Assistantship Programme about?
For international (post)doctoral candidates it is often difficult to gather teaching experience at JLU Giessen as lectures on Bachelor`s and Master`s level are mainly held in German. Therefore, the GGS is happy to announce the 9th round of the GGS Teaching Assistantship Programme.
The aim of the GGS Teaching Assistantship Programme is to offer international (post)doctoral candidates the chance to gather teaching experience which is a key skill if you intend to pursue an academic career. If you would like to know more about the GGS Teaching Assistantship Programme, have a look at the Teaching Assistantship Programmes of the previous few years.
What do I get out of participating in the GGS Teaching Assistantship Programme?
If you are an international doctoral candidate, please feel invited to share your ideas for paid teaching assistantships (16,50 € per hour including preparation and lecture time).
|Hourly wage||Preparation time||Lecture Time||Attendance at the kick-off meeting||Attendance at the preparatory workshop||Total|
|Lecture:||16,50 €||10 h||2 h||1 h||3 h||264€|
|Workshop:||16,50 €||14 h||4 h||1 h||3 h||363€|
Please note that the programme is designed exclusively for GGS members (how to become a member) who are not German citizens and who have obtained their MA degree (or equivalent) outside of Germany. Please note that the TAP 2021 will take place online due to the corona pandemic.
Which kind of courses will be offered within the TA programme depends entirely on your ideas! Do you have skills, talents and expertise that you would like to share with your fellow PhD colleagues? Would you like to offer an academic writing training for students, doctoral candidates and even postdocs? Are you experienced in research fieldwork or an methodexpert that other GGS members might benefit from? Would like to offer a language course in your mother tongue? Or would you like to present your research project? Tell us all about your ideas!
How can I apply?
Are there any selection criteria?
The Programme is created exclusively for doctoral candidates and post-doctoral researchers in the Faculties of Law, Economics and Business Studies, and Social Sciences and Cultural Studies at JLU Giessen as well as for doctoral candidates and post-doctoral researchers from other JLU Faculties whose research interests are in line with the GGS research profile.
Your applications will be evaluated based on:
- innovativeness of the project idea
- clear and consistent description of the project idea
- quality of the didactic concept
- practicability of the course plan/ time schedule
- attractiveness of the course for doctoral candidates of the GGS
What events does the GGS Teaching Assistantship Programm include?
The GGS Teaching Assistantship Programme includes a kick-off meeting, a two-day preparatory workshop and a final get-together. Please note that your participation in these events is mandatory as well as the attendance in the lectures and workshops of your fellow colleagues (!).
March 22, 2021,
10 a.m. – 11.30 a.m.
In the kick-off meeting you will get to know your fellow colleagues and receive all relevant information on the structure of the programme. In addition, there is a short introduction to the conference tool cisco webex meeting.
|April 9, 2021||
By the end of this two-day-workshop, participants will be able to:
|Weekly Lectures/Workshops (mostly) on Wednesdays||April to July, 2021||
On a weekly basis, you and your colleagues will give each other lectures/workshops to gain teaching experience.
Lectures usually take place from 2p.m. to 4p.m., while workshops take place from 2p.m. to 6p.m.
What are the terms of participation and payment?
- Attendance at the kick-off meeting and the preparatory workshops. If you have already attended the preparatory workshops in a previous round of the TA programme, participation is optional. However, please note that payment for the attendance in this year's workshops can only be made, if you choose to attend.
- 80% attendance in the lectures and workshops of your TAP-colleagues.
- If you are not able to attend one of the events/workshops/lectures, it is crucial that you excuse yourself via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 24h in advance of the event.
- All deadlines (e.g. for the submission of documents concerning your participation, lecture/workshop or payment) must be met on time.
- The participation in the evaluation of each event/workshop/lecture is mandatory.
In the event of a breach of the above mentioned terms, we reserve the right to reduce your payment.