Insect Biotechnology and Bioresources (MSc)
Überblick / Overview
- Overview Teaser Deutsch
Der englischsprachige Masterstudiengang "Insect Biotechnology and Bioresources" wird vom Fachbereich 09 "Agrarwissenschaften, Ökotrophologie und Umweltmanagement" der Justus-Liebig-Universität in Kooperation mit der Technischen Hochschule Mittelhessen (THM) angeboten.
With more than a million scientifically described species, insects form the largest group of organisms on earth. As an emerging interdisciplinary research area, insect biotechnology explores insects as well as insect-associated micro- and macroorganisms as newly emerging bioresources for medicine, plant protection, pharmacy, industrial food and biotechnology.
During your studies you will work intensively on the systematics and ecology of insects, acquire specific scientific and technical knowledge and learn about various methodical research approaches in order to investigate insects and their associated organisms as a new resource for food and luxury food, enzymes and bioactive natural products and finally to refine fully-developed products.
The study program stands out with its strong emphasis on research and practical relevance and as well as with a high level of interdisciplinary approaches and projects.
Composition of the Study Programme
- Composition of the Study Programme
Master of Science (MSc)
Duration of studies
4 semesters – 120 credit points (cp)
Composition of degree programme
The study program is organized in modules. Each module comprises four semester hours per week and is completed with a final examination as given in the module description. The final grade of the study program is calculated from the achieved module grades.
The course consists of 8 mandatory modules (core modules) and 8 optional modules (profile modules) and the master thesis. The concept of choosing individually profile modules enables a diverse range of study focuses on the basis of a fundamental scientific education (core modules).
- Bioprocess Engineering I (6 CP)
- Biostatistics and Experimental Design (6 CP)
- Entomology I (6 CP)
- Entomology II (6 CP)
- Food Technology (6 CP)
- Integrated Pest Management (6 CP)
- Natural Product Discovery Platforms (6 CP)
- Natural Product Chemistry (6 CP)
Students tailor their individual profile by selecting 8 modules from the entire profile module catalogue of the faculty. Selection of recommended English modules for this study program:
- Antibiotics: present, past, and future
- Bioprocess Engineering II – Advanced
- Insect Biotechnology
- Insects for food and feed production systems
- Instrumental, biochemical and trace analytical methods in food analysis
- Laboratory Course I
- Laboratory Course II
- Method development in food analysis and food biotechnology
- Milestones of Insect Biotechnology & Bioresources
- Molecular Techniques
- Pharmaceutical Basics
- Selected Chapters of Pharmaceutical & Industrial Biotechnology
- Trends and Advances in Natural Product Research
- Quality Management
Master Thesis (24 CP)
The major part of the 4th semester is dedicated to writing the master’s thesis. With the thesis students proof their capability to independently research a given topic scientifically within a limited period.
- Application: Commencement of studies
Commencement of studies
Only possible in the winter semester;
- Application: admission and registration
Foreign applicants outside the European Union who do not have a German ‘Abitur’ (university entrance certificate) and a German Bachelor Degree, must submit their application to JLU Giessen via uni-assist (details).
The application deadline is June 15.
For further information you may contact:
Postal address: Postfach 11 14 40, 35359 Giessen
Detailed information on the application process
- Application: Entrance requirements
Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree with at least 180 ECTS-points in one of the following scientific fields:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Food Chemistry
Other Bachelor's degrees can be accepted as an equivalent degree by the board of examiners.
- Application: Language requirements
As the entire degree course is taught in English, applicants must provide proof of sufficient knowledge of written and spoken English. The required level of proficiency can be certified as follows:
- either: TOEFL test iBT (inter-net-based test) with at least 80 points or IELTS test with a minimum grade of 6 in the academic test;
- or: proof of university entrance qualification awarded for one of the following countries: Australia, Ireland, Canada, Aotearoa/New Zealand, the USA, the UK, South Africa
- or: proof of completion of an English-language Bachelor’s degree course
- or: proof of the UNIcert II certificate.
- Contact: Study Advisor
- PD Dr. Thomas Degenkolb
Institut für Insektenbiotechnologie
fon +49 (0) 641 - 99 37651
Consultation hours: by appointment
- PD Dr. Thomas Degenkolb