Insect Biotechnology and Bioresources (MSc)
- Englischer Studiengang
This course of study is taught in English.
With more than a million scientifically described species, insects form the largest group of organisms on earth. As an emerging interdisciplinary research area, insect biotechnology explores insects as well as insect-associated micro- and macroorganisms as newly emerging bioresources for medicine, plant protection, pharmacy, industrial food and biotechnology.
During your studies you will work intensively on the systematics and ecology of insects, acquire specific scientific and technical knowledge and learn about various methodical research approaches in order to investigate insects and their associated organisms as a new resource for food and luxury food, enzymes and bioactive natural products and finally to refine fully-developed products.
The study program stands out with its strong emphasis on research and practical relevance and as well as with a high level of interdisciplinary approaches and projects.
Composition of the Study Programme
- Composition of the Study Programme
Master of Science (MSc)
Duration of studies
4 semesters – 120 credit points (cp)
Composition of degree programme
The study program is organized in modules. Each module comprises four semester hours per week and is completed with a final examination as given in the module description. The final grade of the study program is calculated from the achieved module grades.
The course consists of 8 mandatory modules (core modules) and 8 optional modules (profile modules) and the master thesis. The concept of choosing individually profile modules enables a diverse range of study focuses on the basis of a fundamental scientific education (core modules).
- Bioprocess Engineering I (6 CP)
- Biostatistics and Experimental Design (6 CP)
- Entomology I (6 CP)
- Entomology II (6 CP)
- Food Technology (6 CP)
- Integrated Pest Management (6 CP)
- Natural Product Discovery Platforms (6 CP)
- Natural Product Chemistry (6 CP)
Students tailor their individual profile by selecting 8 modules from the entire profile module catalogue of the faculty. Selection of recommended English modules for this study program:
- Antibiotics: present, past, and future
- Bioprocess Engineering II – Advanced
- Insect Biotechnology
- Insects for food and feed production systems
- Instrumental, biochemical and trace analytical methods in food analysis
- Laboratory Course I
- Laboratory Course II
- Method development in food analysis and food biotechnology
- Milestones of Insect Biotechnology & Bioresources
- Molecular Techniques
- Pharmaceutical Basics
- Selected Chapters of Pharmaceutical & Industrial Biotechnology
- Trends and Advances in Natural Product Research
- Quality Management
Master Thesis (24 CP)
The major part of the 4th semester is dedicated to writing the master’s thesis. With the thesis students proof their capability to independently research a given topic scientifically within a limited period.
- Disclaimer Studienaufbau
Irrtümer und Änderungen vorbehalten.
- Start WS-engl: Commencement of studies
Commencement of studies
Only possible in the winter semester.
Depending on where you obtained either your university entrance certificate or your Bachelor degree, we differentiate two application procedures:
You need to use JLU’s application portal if
- you hold a completed Bachelor’s degree obtained at a German university (the country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance).
- your JLU Bachelor programme is not yet complete. Please provide a preliminary report. The country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance.
- you obtained your university entrance certificate in Germany and attended a Bachelor programme at a German university other than JLU. Please provide a preliminary report if your programme is not yet completed.
- you want to change to another degree programme at JLU. The country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance.
- you hold a completed Bachelor’s degree obtained at a foreign university (the country of origin of your university entrance certificate is of no importance).
- you obtained your university entrance certificate abroad and attended a Bachelor programme at a German university other than JLU. Please provide a preliminary report if your programme is not yet completed.
- Application: deadline, intake capacity, fees
Intake capacity ("Numerus Clausus")
The intake capacity of this degree programme is (not) limited internally by the university.
Enrolment starts at the beginning of June. Please note that the application via uni-assist opens in May.
Case B applicants are advised to apply as early as possible AND should remember to hand in hard copies of their documents during the uni-assist application process.
Application deadline: June 15, 2021
Please note that the application period has been extended: deadline this year is August 31.
No study fees are charged for this study program. However, students have to pay a semester contribution of approx. 300 EUR for administration and semester tickets (details).
- Application: Entrance requirements
Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree with at least 180 ECTS-points in one of the following scientific fields:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Food Chemistry
Other Bachelor's degrees can be accepted as an equivalent degree by the board of examiners.
- Application: Language requirements
As the entire degree course is taught in English, applicants must provide proof of sufficient knowledge of written and spoken English. The required level of proficiency can be certified as follows:
- either: TOEFL test iBT (inter-net-based test) with at least 80 points or IELTS test with a minimum grade of 6 in the academic test;
- or: proof of university entrance qualification awarded for one of the following countries: Australia, Ireland, Canada, Aotearoa/New Zealand, the USA, the UK, South Africa
- or: proof of completion of an English-language Bachelor’s degree course
- or: proof of the UNIcert II certificate.
- Further information-admission international
For further information please contact:Registrar’s Office / Studierendensekretariat
Postal address: Postfach 11 14 40, 35359 Giessen
- Insect Biotechnology and Bioresources (englischsprachiger Studiengang)
- Further Information: Dokumente
PDF documents for the courses of study
Prüfungs- und Studienordnungen
- Examination- and study regulations (in German)
(mit Modulbeschreibungen und Studienverlaufsplänen)
- Examination Committee and Regulations (Informationen in English)
- General study regulations for modular and multi-stage study programmes
Courses offered in the course catalogue
- Examination- and study regulations (in German)
- Master's Degree Programmes of Faculty 09
taught in German
- Agricultural and Resource Economics (taught in German)
- Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (taught in German)
- Food Economics (taught in German)
- Beverage Technology (offered in cooperation with the Geisenheim University) (taught in German)
- Crop Science (taught in German)
- Livestock Sciences (taught in German)
- Nutritional Sciences and Home Economics / Ecotrophology (taught in German)
- Oenology (offered in cooperation with the Geisenheim University) (taught in German)
- Environmental Sciences (taught in German)
- Wine Economics (offered in cooperation with the Geisenheim University) (taught in German)
taught in English
- Any more questions?
Any more questions?
Information and consulting services of the JLU can be found in the category "Contact" on this page!